1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The sales calls have started

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by camattin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow... so I've only been a customer for 10 days and they're already trying to pitch me the NFL ST/Premier deal. I had to tell her "no thanks" 4 times before she finally gave up.

For you long timers... how often will they keep harassing me about upgrading my package?

2. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I've gotten 1 call in the last 2 years where they wanted me to add the HD Extra package.

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...you turned it down? It probably would have been a better deal for you and then you could have changed programming packages after the season.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Newbies are always hit the hardest with upgrades. ST always get's pushed. Around mid season they'll come up with another offer. Just relax and enjoy.

5. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    I think I'm realizing that now... but this lady was so hard to understand I was afraid I wasn't 100% sure of what she was offering.

Should've told her I'm hard of hearing (I'm not) and that she'd need to email me the details so I could read over them.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    You don't need to lie or make up an excuse to ask for the details of an offer in writing. If the calling party refuses, then it's usually wisest to pass, whatever the offer.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Good advice, that goes right up there with getting a letter saying "We're an honest company."

As for me, they never harass me. I have a grandfathered package, and the last time I got harassed was when they did their blitz telling people that we needed the BBCs.

8. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Just tell them to add you to their do not call list.

9. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Since subscribers have an existing relationship they are free to call us with other offers. You may ask to be placed on a "no-call list" but they don't have to honor it.

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If you have caller ID, ignore the call.

If you answer, say no thanks, good bye and hang up. No one is forcing you to stay on the line.

BTW, my parents are long-time subscribers and got the call - they accepted Sunday Ticket and free Premier for 5 months.

11. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    I have been with them for almost three months and have not received one sales call. Just calls on rating their installation and repair visits I have had. I'm not complaining though. I had rather not have any sales calls.

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I am a long time subscriber, and don't recall getting a sales call from them in at least 10 years. I assume that at some point I told them not to call. I don't know if it was verbally, or an option on their web site. However, I have to assume if you don't want the sales calls, just let them know and they will honor that.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't get calls from them either. Makes me feel kinda left out. :)

Rich

14. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    I wish I would get the call. I would love to get the ST deal. Has anyone heard of existing customers getting the deal?

15. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Yes they do. Even if you have a relationship with them. Once you tell them not to call you they are not supposed to call you anymore and if they do, you can file a complaint against them.

16. acer505

acer505 Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I have been with them for three years got a call last night if i wanted to sign up for Directv. :)

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think it works that way. If you have an account with anyone, you can't get them put on the "no call" list.

Now, if you had an OOMA instead of the landline, not only would you save a lot of money, you can "Blacklist" anyone.

Rich

18. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Yes, $250 one time, definitely beats the cost of a monthly charge for a landline. Although there are cheaper options like Magic Jack for $40 first year and $20 for each additional year. And at 2.5" x 1.5" x .5", its easy to take with you when you travel. I guess the voice quality is supposed to be superior with OOMA though. How has it been for you?

19. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    If you ask D* to not call you in regards to marketing/sales calls/emails, then yes they will honor it. However, since you have a BUSINESS relationship with them, they may still contact you regarding non-sales related (business) matters on your account.

For example, service calls, equipment upgrades and installations, billing matters etc..

20. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Same here.... but that's probably because I disconnected my land line and never bothered to give them a new number. :D