The Secret Startup That Saved the Worst Website in America

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Jul 10, 2015.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is a fascinating story The Secret Startup That Saved the Worst Website in America If you can't get to it, you can download a 6.2 mb PDF version here.

I'm putting it in The OT because it could easily be taken in a political direction. But it isn't a political story. Really it's a common story I'm all too familiar with here in California - government bureaucracy cannot readily adapt when creative technology is needed to function in the 21st Century. After all, the State of California for reasons I still don't understand couldn't update its payroll system from a 1970 system until last year.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If anyone is offended by the existence or operation of Healthcare.gov they probably shouldn't read that article.
    Also people who are offended by private companies doing better than the government should not read it.

I believe a lot of companies forget what they are good at and try to do things they are not good at. A functioning website seems to be number one on the list companies are happy to fail at. One could own and run any good company ... happy customers, quality products ... and then put up a complete failure of a website using "in house" resources instead of people focused on running websites.

Every company should have a website that works within their ability to maintain. But don't expect the best plumbing company in America to have the best website guru on staff. Either outsource the site to someone with skills (and pay) or scale the site back to the skills of the people available. In this case, outsourcing the right team saved the website.

4. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Very interesting, Phrelin - thanks for posting. The story's subtitle could have been,
    'Unsung Heroes Get Sung.'

Reading the story, it sounds so very familiar, kind of a - "Halt and Catch Fire" - type
    situation, except that our own government provides the requisite roadblocks and the
    predictable inertia.

Yay for the nerds and geeks who, as an unstoppable force, did an "end run" around
    a monolithic, immoveable object.

Well done, guys!

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I'm a bit envious of Estonia. They went from a very repressed country where a large number of citizens didn't even have phone lines in 1991 to a very sophisticated e-government system.