The Simpsons: “Stark Raving Dad” no longer available

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:51 AM.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I know.... I stopped watching The Simpsons after the fifth season. Still, I consider this very significant and with some good reasons...

From ScreenRant:

The Simpsons Episode NOT On Disney+
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Censorship with lipstick.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Did you miss the part where the creators said they don’t want it in there anymore and pulled it from everything? No syndication, not on physical media anymore... everything.. That’s not censorship. That’s them saying they feel they made a mistake and are yanking it. Disney is following along and probably doesn’t disagree.

I really don’t care either way. But one could make the argument that yanking it means they no long have to pay his estate royalties too when there are questions to what he did.

The only part about this that puzzles me is people who defend Roman Polanski and still release his stuff but go after everyone else.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep, not specific to Dinsey+ but following the creator's will. It is their book and they can remove a chapter.

I am surprised that the celebrity was Michael Jackson - a person who had the "little boys pants half off" jokes told about him in the 1980s.
    I expected the celebrity to be OJ Simpson or Bill Cosby or someone else who was acceptable in 1991 but has since become a problem.
    (OJ declined to guest star in 1993 before the murders in 1994 - the recurring Bill Cosby character on Simpsons was not voiced by Bill Cosby.)

The Simpsons has long pushed the edge of decency (although not as much as other Fox adult cartoon shows). I probably would have left the episode in the series, but it is their book.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    It's hardly the first time that an TV series had episodes removed in syndication. I can name a batch of series including the original Twilight Zone (episodes An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge due to rights using a French short film, plus The Encounter due to racial overtones), Tiny Toons Adventures (Elephant Issues), Seinfeld, and so on. All has the problem episodes included as part of the home media release. The most notorious of these was from the original Hawaii 5-O second season episode Bored, She Hung Herself. This episode only aired once on January 7th, 1970, and the family sued CBS after a family member imitated what was shown on the show and killed themselves. The episode was never repeated, never released to syndication, and is not available on DVD or streaming. (The DVD set only says "The Second Season" instead of "The Complete Second Season"). Another series is South Park, which has episodes Super Best Friends, 200, and 201 altered without the creators permission.

The problem is that the episode has been available for years on DVD, so while it will take some searching, you can probably find a illegal download or a video upload.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Come to think of it, I had the DVD in my basement ... I'm watching it now. I'm such a rebel. :D

dennispap likes this.