The speed versus data cap

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by paranoia, May 11, 2017.

1. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    I currently have 15 megs in two different locations in my house, with two separate routers, they are unlimited data.
    My question is my local cable company offers these options ,Monthly Bandwidth Usage Limit:
    MetroCast Access 50 GB
    MetroCast High Speed Express 250GB
    MetroCast High Speed Turbo 600 GB
    MetroCast High Speed Ultra 1 TB

These are the data caps for the various speed packages.

Do you think it is worth giving up my unlimited data at only 15 megs for the faster speeds but with data caps.

High Speed Ultra up to 150 Mbps*
    High Speed Turbo up to 50 Mbps**
    High Speed Express up to 5 Mbps
    Internet Access up to 1.5 Mbps

These are the speeds they offer.

thank you in advance.
    Mark

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    What does that have to do with DirecTV?

3. paranoia

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    because I download stuff from DT, and my genie is hooked to the internet, plus many times I have seen internet speeds talked about on this forum, however if you are the forum director and not a know it all, feel free to have a mod move or delete my thread,if it is improper.

Rich likes this.
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, this should probably be in a different Forum, but a Mod will have to move it.

To answer your question, how much data do you use (or need) and at what speeds?

We had 75MBPS with Comcast, but they have a 1TB cap. We went over that limit one month and have lately been in the 800-925 GB of data. And now that my wife is feeling more comfortable watching Netflix and Amazon Prime, we're going to be using more data. So we shifted to a plan with unlimited.

We only use HD videos on Netflix (and other streaming sites), and Netflix says you need 5MBPS for their HD.

So you need to look at your data usage and speed requirements for what you're going to be doing online.

paranoia likes this.
  5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I could be wrong about this, but unless things have changed within the last couple years I don't believe a DirecTV receiver would exceed much beyond 6 megabits/sec or so downloading an on-demand title.

If I remember correctly it was reported that their data rates are likely "throttled" at some point between the HR and where the data emanates from their servers.

If that's still the case you could probably have two HRs downloading at the same time w/o too much problem. Or a combination of one HR and someone watching NF, etc...

This may have all changed since I've last looked into it, and I'm sure it's quite possible that it may vary by location.

paranoia likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    As you get into streaming, you'll need more speed. That seems unavoidable. NF does do a lot of buffering if you don't have the proper speed. For D* content, you probably can live with what you have.

Why are you using two separate routers?

Rich

7. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    Our DSL has recently been upgraded and we usually get between 15 to 20 Mbps. So far it hasn't buffered at all even with 4k. That is with Amazon and I haven't tried NF as of yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

8. paranoia

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    I have wifi on 1 router turned on for all the laptops and cell phones and a amazon stick and a roku stick , in the living room, and bedrooms.
    I have the other router in my den or my hangout room where I use the genie, my desktop, my roku player and of course my tv all hooked via ethernet so I got 2 separate internet lines coming in to the house, one for each router.

madmadworld likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Depends on the content, even 4K content.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There is an easier way to use two routers. Might not be of interest to you since you already have that setup.

Rich