The Tech Took my owned HR24-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H24/HR24 Field Trial (private)' started by itzme, Jul 28, 2010.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I was in the the HR24-100 Field Test 2. I was having worsening signal strength issues and constant alignment test failures on on all my receivers for weeks, and I was also having jitters on my HR21-700. After posting my issues on various threads, I came to the realization that I needed to call DirecTV. They kindly set up a service call at no charge.

Now my HR21-700 (in bad shape) shares a rack and TV with the HR24-100 I recently field tested. The HR24 was working beautifully on the latest CE. In preparation for the service call I reverted to the national release onto the HR21.

The tech adjusted and replaced numerous connections inside and out. He was very thorough and likable. He replaced my Zinwell Multiswitch (Legacy) :( and swapped my 5LNB for a 3LNB (more legacy-I was hoping for SWM and green labels) :( and he a agreed that the hard drive was going bad on the HR21. He went to the truck and brought in an HR24-100 to replace it (upgrade!) :).

Then he starts testing signals and swapping line inputs and says, "No matter how I swap your tuner lines, the Tune 2 In is getting bad signals on your HR24." :confused::confused: He was right about that, I hadn't noticed that since Tuner 1 was fine and anyway all my HRs were previously in bad shape signal wise.

He then replaces my field test HR24, too, complete with last weeks CE on it, not to mention ALL my recordings, with a new HR24-100. :confused: He put the Field Test unit in the empty box. I mention that I believe that unit is owned not leased. He says he has to take it with him. I politely ask him to ask DTV, since he was calling them to document the swaps and authorize the 2 new units. DTV is on speaker phone, so I hear everything. The tech asks if my HR24 was owned, and the CSR said no, it is marked as leased. I couldn't think of any recourse and the guy had already spent 5 hours fixing all my issues.

Did I just let a tech leave with my property? Do I have any recourse? Even if Tuner 2 was going bad, I could've used it to replace a guest-room set and had more hard drive space for WH.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Do you still have the RID of the trial receiver? I would be on the phone with the access card department right now wanting to know if they show it was (previously I guess) owned. If they said yes I would be sending an email to Ellen tonight.

If you don't have the PP and the swapped it, is the new one leased, along with a contract extension? I would be on the phone demanding answers, and next time, call the access card department before letting them walk with something that should be owned.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Dont call DirecTv. Send an PM to Doug Brott or Tom Robertson on this board. They will handle all issues between the testers and DirecTv for you, so you dont tread where they dont want you to tread.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Sorry, it was my understanding that round 2 could be treated as regular receivers now, that is why I suggested calling about the ownership. If it had been a -200 I wouldn't have made that suggestion.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Maybe it could be, but how would he explain to a CSR they owned it? I always feel safer just PMing Doug or Tom, and if they say call in, then Im covered. Last thing I want to do is start a problem. You might be right though, I havent kept up on the -xxx's. My H24 is still listed on their accounts page as a H21 :)

6. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I was told my service call was a courtesy call. If they try to charge me anything or if they extend my agreement 2 years, I'll be very upset. But I don't have any indication of either. I would assume that since the DTV CSR said my field test HR24 was a lease, that this replacement one will also be classified a lease.

I agree, I have no intention of calling DTV. As I'm writing, Doug is PMing. He's quick!

In fact I was wondering if this incident might become a 'teachable moment' about how field testers can be sure that DTV knows (or should know) that we should own our field test units.

Other than the tech taking the HR24 with him, I'm not sure the owned vs lease classification ever really comes in to play. Both cost $5 per month.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I wasn't suggesting trying to convince anyone of ownership, I was suggesting more of a "Do you see this as leased or owned? Ok thanks, goodbye" kinda thing, NOT a "Well I got it by..." argument. As for contacting Ellen, perhaps that was bad advice, but when I am told I can treat it as a regular receiver, I consider that includes the dealing with all the bull that comes along with having owned equipment replaced with another piece of owned equipment.

I wish they would give up this lease model and then we wouldn't have these problems, but that has been beat to death so much there is no sense in getting into that here.

I bet I get a PM too..... :(

8. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    First, you should have contacted one of the Mods running the field trial before any contact with DirecTv on any service issues as to how to proceed.

With that out of the way.

Protection plan or no protection plan, owned or leased, it doesn't matter, techs are REQUIRED to take the "bad" box with them.

Otherwise you could say the box was bad, D* rolls a truck to fix the issue, they swap the box, you keep the "bad box", tech leaves, you "fix" the bad box. Ta da, free upgrade. Nope, they know that game.

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Allright, I need finite clarification on this. When a particular model is public, and we have that model from a trial, what are the rules?

The way I understand it is that the trial is over, it is just another owned box on my account, I don't need to ask permission to do anything with it, I can keep it on, I can shut it off, I think I read some have been sold (after the trial is over of course!). What can we do and what should we not do?

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Well... I'm about to contact Ellen's office regarding updating some legacy receivers and a dish re-alignment. Since the HR24-100 is public now, and I have NO intention of letting the installer near my HR24-100, I assumed I was safe, but now I'm having second thoughts...

... MODS?!?!?! :confused:

~Alan

11. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Alan, your question is the purpose of my post.

The box the tech took has been out of field testing for weeks. It is a regular receiver now. We've been asked not to discuss field tests outside this forum, even after the tests. I haven't. I respect that 100%. I simply asked the tech to ask DTV if it was owned. DTV said no, it was leased. That confused me and really is the crux of this post. I didn't know what protocol is for a tech taking a box, but I would've thought that an owned box would've been left with... the owner. Really, they are to take bad boxes regardless of leased vs owned? I'm confused by that.

Also, Doug is helping me with this.

12. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Robert, also I'm thinking you may've misunderstood whether I was currently in a field test. You're not suggesting I should have asked Doug or Tom before calling DTV about my 3 year old HR21 going bad and my dish alignment errors throughout the house, are you?

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    As I see it, D* requires any box that is still on the reclaim list to be sent back, either leased or owned. They let me keep an owned HR10 but I doubt they would let anyone keep anything current along with getting another owned box.

As for the techs, I am not sure how that works with them being required to take it as opposed to the recovery kit, but I do know that no tech is swapping any of my owned boxes until we call ACDT together on speakerphone and verify that the bad box is owned and the replacement is owned. I think that is why many posters here go for the "it won't even light up" method when needing a receiver swap, so they don't have to deal with a tech taking the box and not having much of a recourse for making sure it gets credited to their account, and they just get a new one mailed out and skip all the headache. I also would have the tech write the RID of any receiver he was taking on the work order and have him sign it, if you could ever convince me to let a tech take any of my receivers.

14. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    They let me keep my HR10 also. Maybe thats why I was under the impression that I'd keep any owned unit. That and the word 'owned'

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Any CE or field trial hardware problem should ALWAYS go through the Mods first.
    I doubt a tech knows or can find out a unit is owned and if they replace a unit, it will be with a leased unit.

I've had a few owned receivers replaced with owned receivers but this has ALWAYS been through the Mods and from El Segundo.

Should this situation happen to anyone here again:
    Since you own the unit, simply tell the tech you'll deal with the receiver's problem yourself and sign off on the work order.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    At this point you're probably ok. The field trial is over, and the receiver model is out in the wild. It would have been great if you could have contacted one of us first, but you had to make a call right then and there, and we get that.

If it had been possible to prevent the tech from taking it, that would have been best, but what's done is done.

17. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Each customer I go to, I can see not only their list of current receivers and their leased/owned status, I can also see each and every deactivated receiver and every access card as well.

18. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Why would you think that?

If you buy something at the store and breaks, what do you do? You take it back to the store, give it to them and they give you a replacement (99% of the time).

Why would DirecTv just leave all these "bad" boxes out there collecting dust, or be magicly fixed after the [strike]bogus free upgrade[/strike] service call is done?

19. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I bet they won't fall for the old "it doesn't light up or anything" line :lol:

So what is the official call on this? I have the PP, if I have a tech out or if I call about an issue (when not in a trial or running CE software) and they want to swap receivers, do I need to hold off and handle it through El Segundo or just go ahead and do it?

20. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I certainly don't still don't know the official line. I feel like I've done 2 things wrong: Thinking owning meant it belonged to me, as a working DVR, as a crippled DVR, or as a shiny black doorstop. Just like DTV treated my HR10-250. You guys have come to make me understand I was wrong about that.

Secondly I feel like some of you may be accusing me of not using good judgement or somehow violating my post-field trial agreement, which I understood it was not to discuss what happens in a field test. I never did. In fact if I had, that MAY have prompted the tech to inquire further about the issue. I've been a faithful CEer for years now, I take the confidentiality aspects of testing to heart, and I hope to get invited to future field test. And to this day no one ever advised me to call "Ellen" about anything. I'm not even sure I know who she is (other than hearing her name dropped in various threads). I certainly didn't have an opportunity to stop the tech as he packed it up, other than to have him inquire with DTV if they unit was owned. I thought that was a good strategy to keep the box in my possession. DTV said it was leased, clear enough for both me and the teck to hear, and then I was lost for ideas as the tech packed up and noted how late he was to the next appointment.

I'm not upset over what happened, I have 2 new HR24s, and I certainly hope no one is upset at me. I was just a little surprised it happened. And the whole purpose of my post was an effort to clarify things for others.