The thing I miss most on my Tivo HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by p4594spa, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2008 #1 of 108
    p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    The HD21-700 actually is ok. Every systems has it quirks.

The thing miss most is the 6-level set of things you have to go thru to get to the Scheduler. On Tivo it is one button!

What about u what else do you miss?

2. Feb 7, 2008 #2 of 108
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I recall it taking more than one button to add a season pass, more than one button to get to the to do list, more than one button to get to the scheduler. Sure you could use the Tivo+# keys but that's still two buttons.

On the other hand, did you know you can set a Series Link on your HR21 by pressing (R) twice on the program name in the guide? TiVo couldn't do that.

3. Feb 7, 2008 #3 of 108
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1 button to get to the Scheduler on TiVo?

Which button was that on the TiVo? at a Minimum, I think it was at least 3 (maybe there was a 2 key short cut).

Right now on the HR20's it is just a few buttons, the HR21's are not upto date on the menu structure... they will be on their next national release.

4. Feb 7, 2008 #4 of 108
    cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    true,but I think that the ultimate TV worked the same way: with the record button cycling through record once, record series, don't record. As did Dish Network's dish player, which was also Microsoft-based. It is a convenient way to do things, but not innovative.

the thing I miss most about the TiVo is being able to find what I want in the menus. I don't mind pressing a few more keys as long as I'm not having to think too hard and I can make steady progress. I've had the HR 20 about five months now and I still have trouble finding things sometimes. Just the other day I had to really dig to figure out where to find the OTA signal strength. Somehow the menus on the TiVo were just more obvious and intuitive, even if they were more simplistic.

5. Feb 7, 2008 #5 of 108
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Not always. Actually the OTA meter and satellite meter on the HR10 were in completely different places. The HR20 has them in the same sub menu. (Tivo did improve that on the HD Tivo, as both meters are in the same place but the Tivo always disrupts what you are watching to go to the meters but the HR20 only disrupts the tuners that fit the meter. If you are recording satellite, looking at the OTA meters doesn't stop the recording on the HR20.)

Point, is that all DVRs have plusses and minusses. I actually like the HR20 better than my HR10 and even than my HD Tivo. Why? It is smoother. Trick play on HD is better (there are audio gaps on the HD Tivo when you go back to play) and the menus are a lot quicker (I don't watch them build like I do with my HD Tivo).

The HD Tivo does have more non-DVR options (more options for downloads and stuff) but since none of the Tivo downloads are HD, I don't really care that much.

Oh, and who said the one-touch record button was innovative. Just not a feature on any Tivo anywhere. Doesn't excite me either way...

6. Feb 7, 2008 #6 of 108
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    You guys are really scaring me. I haven't made the so called 'upgrade' yet from my HR10-250. And the only positive note above is about OTA, which is no longer even availible in the latest upgrades (HR-21s). I've been checking out this site for a couple months now.

7. Feb 8, 2008 #7 of 108
    California King

California King Legend

Nov 24, 2007
    I miss the TiVo button! When I'm recording on both tuners I don't want to turn on my receiver and be mid way through the recording. On TiVo, if you click the TiVo button instead of Live TV, it'll take you to the menu instead!

And of course, dual-buffers!!!

8. Feb 8, 2008 #8 of 108
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Really only one thing since 30 second skip finally got added...reliability.

Knowing that when I had a series set to record it would be recorded and it would be the entire show...start to end.

9. Feb 8, 2008 #9 of 108
    Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I miss the waiting after selecting a program to record it was so much fun to sit there and wait 5-10 minutes.

10. Feb 8, 2008 #10 of 108
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I miss not having to program in the 30 second skip every flippin' day because the TiVo has rebooted every night.

11. Feb 8, 2008 #11 of 108
    Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    Funny you mention that as I still have a Tivo in the bedroom and my wife is always asking me to reprogram the remote.

I will going to my grave saying select, play, select, 30, select and 3 dings

12. Feb 8, 2008 #12 of 108
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    I miss the Info Button where I could see what is on each tuner and then switch to the other tuner if I wanted to!!!

Also, the Live TV Button and the FANTASTIC TIVO GUIDE which shows the different channels on the left and all the shows for the highlighted channel on the left.

13. Feb 8, 2008 #13 of 108
    shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    :icon_lol:

14. Feb 8, 2008 #14 of 108
    TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    My advice is to get an HR21, and to keep your HR10-250 until the first-order bugs are shaken out of the HR2x. The cost to keep it is trivial. Besides, you'll need it for OTA.

Even though I've had my HR2x's for many months, and even though I enjoy the expanded HD content, and even though their reliability continues to improve: I just don't trust them. When there's a program I absolutely/positively can't afford to miss, I record it both on a HR2x and the HR10-250. The HR10-250 never lets me down.

• I record on the HR10-250 certain shows (e.g., Law&Order) because of the HR2x bug that causes recordings to start late.
    • I record on the HR10-250 any show that require lots of commercial skipping, because of a bug in the HR2x that causes a multi-second delay in sound after FF/Skip, etc on some A/V receivers (including mine).

So, my reliance on the the HR2x limited to :

• Premium channels where shows are repeated multiple times in case the first recording is missed or the HR20 hangs
    • Shows without commercial interruptions that require FF/Play transitions
    • Light-weight bagatelles.

Granted, not everybody experiences the problems, but many do. So, I recommend hanging on to the HR10-250 until you know what you've got and D* delivers an OTA solution for the HR21.

15. Feb 8, 2008 #15 of 108
    TomF

TomF Icon

Sep 20, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Season Pass Manager: Menu/1. Two buttons.

Others:
    To Do: Menu/2
    Wishlist Search: Menu/3
    Title Search: Menu/4

Why DirecTV can't implement shortcuts like this on the HR2xs completely baffles me.

16. Feb 8, 2008 #16 of 108
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's easy to get tied up in the UI when it's really the content that matters.

17. Feb 8, 2008 #17 of 108
    Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I do not miss my TIVO at all. I thought I would and I was hesitant to make the switch some time ago but I went for it. I'm really glad I did. I started with one HR20 and now have 3 HR20s. It really is a great product. That's not to say that there are not some things that could be done a little different on better on the HR2x series but you just have to give it a chance and if you do, you'll most likely end up really liking the HR2x series better than the TIVO.

18. Feb 8, 2008 #18 of 108
    dwlevy

dwlevy Mentor

Sep 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I completely second what TigerDriver wrote.

I really like the current UI and features of the HR20 a lot, but I miss the reliability and stability of the HR10-250. That's why I still pay to keep mine mirrored for OTA recordings.

It almost never misses recording a program (maybe it has half a dozen times in the almost 4 years I've owned it) and it never locks up. I've seen the complaints about the HR10-250s rebooting, but I guess I've been lucky. Mine has only rebooted/crashed twice in the last four years (to be fair, that I know of) and not for a long time. All of my HR20s (including the three that have died and had to be RMA'd and the three I have now) lock up every few days and require a RBR. If a program was scheduled to be recorded when it was unresponsive... too bad.

19. Feb 8, 2008 #19 of 108
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Exit button.

20. Feb 8, 2008 #20 of 108
    Steve Robertson

Jun 7, 2005
    I will take the HR 20 700 over my tivo box any day. I have far less reboots with this box it is also much faster setting up recordings and I have not yet missed 1 recording in the almost 12 months I have had this box. The only thing I am having an issue with is audio dropouts which seems to be improving and from what I have read not necessarly a D* issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.