The THR22 "Count me in"/Anticipation thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1 of 82
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Here's a place where all of you who have waited so long can rejoice!

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 82
    ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    Add me to the list :grin: only if my lifetime Tivo is still active & the THR22-100 is faster

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 82
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Lifetime won't get you out of the new $5 tivo fee. Just the $7 dvr fee.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 82
    drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Lifetime service is only good on the DVR you purchased it for. Lifetime service does not transfer from one DVR to another. It's not such a good deal when you figure the typical DVR will be obsolete anyway in 2-3 years. Count me in for the new TiVo when it's available in Charlotte NC.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 82
    iotp

iotp AllStar

Aug 13, 2007
    Not true, I had a old-school DVR where you plugged the receiver in s-video, then transferred that to my HR10-250. It still says on my directv account LIFETIME TIVO.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 82
    drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You may be right but when I switched to cable and purchased 3 TiVo HD's the TiVo customer service rep told me lifetime service was not tranferable from one DVR to another. Therefore I refused it and bought the one year plan.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #7 of 82
    Budget_HT

Budget_HT Mentor

Jun 4, 2003
    Renton, WA
    Lifetime service for DirecTiVo units in the early days was purchased per-box from TiVo Inc, not DirecTV.

Later, the Lifetime service was handed off from TiVo to DirecTV and became Lifetime DirecTiVo service per DirecTV account, for all DirecTiVo units on the account.

More recently, the Lifetime service started also covering DirecTV DVRs (non-TiVo), again all DVRs on the same DirecTV account.

On my recent statement it shows as, "DIRECTV DVR Service Lifetime - $0.00"

I know this because I have passed through all of these iterations myself.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 82
    LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I am looking forward to the the DBSTalk first look to help me decide. Count me as very interested at this point.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 82
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    And... I'm working very hard on getting that first look to you. You know how it is, paying job, real life, :lol:

10. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    Count me in. I'm not in a "select market" city, so I won't be eligible to get it tomorrow, but I'm definitely planning to switch from cable to DirecTV as soon as it shows up as available to me.

Bob

11. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Is the $5 TiVo fee per box or per household?

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Per box.

13. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    That adds up quick. Three TiVo's means $15 for me.

14. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    What markets are they making this available to? I've had a Lifetime subscription with my old 1st generation TIVO for 11 years. Last year, in anticipation of this happening, they promised me a discount on a Lifetime Directivo, when it hit the market. I bet that's one promise that got lost in the neverending binary of the WWW.

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    See below:

16. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    faster than what?

17. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I am assuming faster than the stock HR22-100.

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Consider me one of those people who had one of the DirecTiVo 2 (a HDVR2) in August, 2003 (after switching from Dish Network). Within two months, I had swapped the hard drive from a 40GB to a 160GB hard drive. Four months later, I had put in a second 160GB hard drive. (This increased the SD recording capacity from ~35 hours to ~243 hours.) It was a sad day when I had to retire the DVR due to a bad tuner and a SWiM upgrade. If it has the same functionality as that DirecTiVo, I would be happy. If it had the DirecTV Video on Demand, I would be very happy.

Folks, I really, really tried to like the SD versions of the DirecTV DVRs, both the non-SWiM and SWiM versions (I think they were the 22 versions). Being a movie buff, I would record plenty of movies off TCM and Fox Movie Channel. The DirecTV DVRs just simply did not fit my workflow. Heres why:
    • I could limit my listings to just the "Channels I Receive". I could deselect the channels that I had no desire or access in watching such as the Spanish, non-subscribed Premium channels, or the shopping channels.
    • One trick that I used on the DirecTiVo was to do a search by category. So, I would bring up all the movies, and select the ones I wanted to see. With that DirecTV DVR, even though I had "deselected" the Spanish channels, it would still come up with movies such as 28 días después from the Spanish package that I did not subscribe to.
    • Another trick I used was to go through the text listing of a particular channel for movies on TCM. While I could bring up the listing, somehow, after selecting the movie to recording, it would go back to the beginning of the list.
    • 30 second skip that is an actual 30 second skip, not a 30 second fast forward.
    When that DirecTV DVR hit recording capacity, panicked, rebooted, and erased all of my recordings, I simply picked up the phone, and returned it to DirecTV. That was around April. I have not had a DirecTV received in my room since.

Now, there are a couple of things that prevent me from grabbing the new DirecTiVo. The first one is that I don't have a HD television (yet!). The second is the fact that it only has a 500GB hard drive, and I would really love to have a 1 TB drive. Unfortunately, the current pricing for hard drives is somewhat insane, thus I have to wait a while.

19. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    As compared to the old GUI or the new HD one?

20. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011