The Value of of a TV channel

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Aug 16, 2016.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Through the years I have watched the commercial load increase to the point where watching commercial TV is a real pain without a DVR. It would not be possible to sit through a TV show without a DVR period. I am in my 60s and when I was a child (50s) ads filled up 3-4 minutes of a half hour show. By the 70s, it was 5-6 minutes, and the 80s 7-8 minutes,. Now some channels a person is lucky to get 20 minutes out of a half hour program with 10+ minutes of ads, promos, etc. I used to watch perfectly good ad free movie channels like AMC go commercial, where I never watch the channel any longer. Even with a DVR, I still do not like ads in movies. TV shows I put up with them, but it is too hard to stay connected with ads all of the time. I would rather buy or rent the movie.With the vast increase in ad time, even the TV Networks do not have the value they used to have for me. As each one seems to out do themselves demanding more and more money from their carriers and at the same timer increase their ad time, their value is not much. I can see cord cutters as well and people that only watch the Premiums rid themselves of the high pricing and still enjoy TV.. The only old movie channel free of ads is still TCM. Fox Movies as well ass AMC have converted to ads, so again I never watch them.The Flex pack may be a good idea, as even I may go that way a bit later, unless BBC World shows up in AT250 I may rethink it. I am tired of paying through the nose for Sports channels I never watch and other channels I used to watch, but now they are loaded with ads and yet have they lowered their price to Dish, no. We pay more and more and get less. I spend a lot of time on my Roku these days, where there are few ads. After the first of the year, I will re-look at what I am paying and what I can easily do without to lower my bill.The value for many of the channels have lost their luster, at least for me.

2. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    FYI, FXM runs ads from 1 AM to 1PM Mountain Time, from 1 AM to 1PM the movies are older moveis and commercial free.

MGM HD, is worse than FXM. Mainly because the run commercial at the midpoint of the movie and run many commercials between movies. FXM, also during the 1 AM to 1 PM timeslot just show movie promos.

TCM is my favorite, though I get tired of the 5 minute TCM Wine Club commercial.

AMC, IFC and Sundance used to be all commercial free movie channels; not no more they are general cable channels.

I do agree with you. Growing up in the 1960s, the commercial, promo and coming next week time, was limited to about 8 minutes per hour. Today, the pattern is to show most of an "hour" show in the first half hour and then run at leastt three five minuet breaks in the final half hour. "Hour" long shows now are 40 - 42 minutes. Of course they do teh nasty trick of extending show 5 minutes beyond the hour, just to add more commercials.

But, with these annoyances, are promos that cut off a large party of the screen or constant reminders about an upcoming show. It was bad enough when they introduced channel logs, but now it has gotten so bad, that some of the show content is covered over by local station and network promos.

I have said this a few times before. Growing up in the New York Area, there was more choices and diverse content on the 6 commercial New York stations than you can find on hundreds of channels of cable today. With the exception of WOR (now WWOR) which had a horrible tendency to run 5 minute commercial breaks, the other channels showed great restraint in commercial time. Also, in those days, there was more local programming than just newscasts; including children's programming.

It does cost a great deal to keep a station on the air. But, unlike 50 years ago, and through consolidation, the number of station owners have declined. Today, they need to satisfy stick holders of big corporations. Which means they add more ads, and keep raising the cost of retransmission. And, because they own cable channels, the same happens there.

So, with advertising overload, and charging ever higher fees, the corporations have cut their own throats. People have had enough and are jumping to alternatives. Cutting teh cord, streaming, watching OTA sub-channels, etc. And the corporations continue to ignore that viewers are pushing back and want to see less ads; not more. An unsustainable model that will first kill cable channels. OTA will still be around, but who knows in what form.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is true of a lot of things, though... Check your grocery store. LOTS of products on the shelves cost more today than many years ago and come in smaller sizes too! It's the evolution of things... they try to raise prices, then try to keep prices but lower content, then raise prices on that lesser content... lather, rinse, repeat!

4. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    The good thing is that in 2016, you no longer have to put up with it. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu premium, HBO Now, Showtime Anytime, etc are all blissfully commercial free & available to anyone without traditional cable/satellite packages. With the added bonus that they have better programming than the dreck that shows up on basic cable. I got so annoyed by the ads & screen graphics that I would actually buy a season of for example, Bates Motel or American Horror story on Vudu when I still had pay TV. Just to watch without all the junk. Then one day I realized how incredibly dumb that was. Why was I paying for channels that had turned themselves into an unwatchable mess?

There is only so high someone's bill can go before they start to see diminishing value. And the basic cable model of making the product worse, while charging more for it just isn't sustainable.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I am glad I am not the only one who feels the same way. You are right, the stock holders demand a large increase in their stocks. But again, with so many choices today, we no longer have to be stuck with it. I have had AT250 for years and I like a lot of the channels even though they are full of ads, so I DVR everything. But the time is coming soon to look at going down to a smaller pack that covers more of what I watch. Flex is a fine start, but there are still a lot of channels not available on Flex, even as an add on like Get TV. I did not see that listed. Dish probably feels the same way. A CSR told me the reason NWCN was not brought back was that the company demanded the same fees for that their NBC station was paid. As much as I like the NW News Channel, it was only in SD and not worth what NBC in worth. I have a feeling, the OTA TV stations are going to price themselves out of the market and few will be available in the future on the carriers, if this trend keeps going. What are we going to be paying for the network station in the future? $5, $10? That is for each one, so $50 for locals? I don't think that will fly. Add to that probably 15 minutes of show and 15 minutes of ads, then logos all over the place, ads at the bottom of the picture? Pop ups and all? Free OTA is fine. If they want to do that, then at least it is free. But to pay money to watch that? Netflix, Hulu, etc streaming is more of the future. I know people that only watch streaming period.
    Thanks for the update on FXM. At least they are ad free part of the time.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe so... but keep one important thing in mind. Most of the content on those streaming sources you site originate elsewhere. Sure they make some of their own new content, but most of it is content first sold elsewhere.

Used book stores have better deals than new book stores on many items... BUT if everyone stopped buying new and only wanted to buy used, what do you think would happen? At some point no new books would come out to ever be a used book later!

That's the streaming content model... Mostly re-broadcasts of already-paid-for stuff that they can get cheaper... then they add a few original things of their own. BUT if enough people stop paying for the original content on the original channels (cable/satellite) then that content either will stop being made OR will need to sell for more to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc, etc.. and we'll be right back where we started with people complaining they are paying this new model more than what they are getting.

1 person likes this.
  7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    You are right. All of this streaming material, came from somewhere else. It is not all free, so some get $$$ for the streaming. Even though there is a lot of free material, some of it is pay. With some apps like CNN, USA, etc, a person has to have a sub to either cable or satellite to get these. So again there is no free lunch. Besides, there was the cost opf the streaming device as well as the high speed internet. However, I do enjoy much of the old classic TV fare that is free with and without ads.

1 person likes this.
  8. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Feel the same way. I tried to watch some non DVR live Olympics when it started and it was impossible with the endless ads. I'm 100% positive this is driving the cord cutters. Ad TV has become almost impossible to watch live and even using DVR its very annoying skipping forward all the time.

1 person likes this.
  9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    There is a limit on how much ad time people will put up with and how much people are willing to pay for programming full of ads. I think we have reached it. 20 years ago the viewer would have to put up with it as we had little choice. Now with so many TV choices open, we can go elsewhere for programming. We have Dish, Direct, and cable getting sick of the huge increases the programmer are demanding. As much as I miss the Tribune stations, they are not worth an increase in our packages. Where does this end? I remember a TV engineer telling me that OTA as well and cable TV will become "Pay Per View". If someone want the evening news, they will pay for it, a TV show the same. But knowing what programmers are charging I really doubt that would work.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Greed! Those CEO's get obscene salaries and corporations spend lavishly on conferences in exotic places. Not only are we peasants setting screwed, so are the stockholders.

1 person likes this.
  11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    We still have the choice to buy or not buy their product and many aren't any longer, especially if the person lives in a metro area where they have a lot of OTA choices and streaming. Here we have a few OTA choices, but we do have streaming too.

1 person likes this.
  12. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I DVR everything and with the remote in one hand and a glass of wine in the other I am ready to watch. I didn't watch a single Bob Costas segment and skipped a lot of the preliminary matches. I would have liked to watch boxing and wrestling but never found them on the olympics channels. I pared back to 120+ and use Roku for Netflix and. Amazon Prime. I will subscribe for the first time to the single team Golden State Warriors basketball this year since I am now out of area for my old home team.
    Bottom line, our television tastes and tolerances change over time.

13. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Boxing and wrestling was shown in NBCSN and MSNBC, though there was not much of it shown. It was more or less used as fill between basketball, soccer, team handball and volleyball games.