1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Web Is Dead. Long Live the Internet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Really.

In 20 years, has the world-wide web gone from the greatest invention since the wheel and pre-sliced bagels, to a little-used, trash-littered backwater of the Internet? There are kids today txting and twittering their young lives away that don't know what http or www mean, but does that mean the web is really dead?

Wired.com seems to think so. With a stunning graphic depicting the trends in overall Internet usage, the mag presents a compelling case that, while the web may not yet be dead, it's on life support and fading fast.
    Read more @ Wired.com

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I hate where technology is going sometimes.

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised at how technology has come full circle.

Many, many years ago, if you used a computer, it was more likely a "dumb terminal" hooked up to a big mainframe. The mainframes took up the entire room.

Then, personal computers became more powerful. People ended up doing their work on their own computers. But, alas, we had to deal with differing versions of the documents. So, we had servers installed.

Now, web browsers are becoming more powerful. Some of the applications are simply "too powerful" for what people need to actually use. Do you need WordArt when you compose a simple letter? Aren't there online applications for that.

So, we've come full circle. The Web Browser is now the new smarter "dumb terminal", with all of the data being stored on a server farm occupying an entire room.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah....progress..... :D

5. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting article. Quite frankly I think the internet is more useful to me now than ever. 10 years ago it was something to tinker with. Now its a powerhouse of all types of online content that's easy to access. Several years ago I said it and will say it again. The future of the internet is video.

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The future of internet is data caps. Video doesn't work well with those.

I wonder what kind of cap Google will have with its 200M service? The cable co here was pushing hard to be a test city for it, and when they told me about it the first thing I thought of was 200M service with a few gigs of a cap.

7. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Maybe, but its all about $$$. If there is money to be made, data caps will also be a thing of the past.

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah, that is where it starts to get sticky. The providers that provide both the TV service and internet service, like AT&T or Verizon, will start giving preference to one user over the other. FIOS subs will have no caps while people on the same network that use Hulu will get a bottleneck.

I still can't see it becoming economically viable everywhere, especially in places like Stillwater. Our infrastructure is ancient, there is no way every house in my block alone could handle streaming HD video, much less the whole edition, even less the whole town. The cable co is trying to get with the times, we have now 3 fiber trunks to OKC as of recent, but here and all the surrounding towns just have decades old copper pairs strung though out the neighborhood. Surrounding towns don't even have high speed internet yet. Yes, they could upgrade it all, but this is a college town. People come and go so much, their biggest money maker would be ETFs instead of the service they provide!

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup and yup.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    More to the point, the internet is simply too versatile to let a single type of portal rule it. Obviously I do a decent amount of web browsing, but even within it I'm not using pure HTTP much of the time.

For example, this site converts PHP and an SQL database to HTML on the fly; that's just to get it to the browser. I use a lot of other "apps" every day which either convert to HTML, Flash, or some other transport mechanism to get stuff to me.

None of that bothers me. How we communicate is evolving so rapidly, and it's a good thing. We are social creatures, and we crave connections. That's why cell phones took off so fast. No one "needs" to communicate while on the road, unless they are lost or something breaks. We do so, whether by voice or text, because that is how we are created.

Apps like facebook and skype let me be a much larger part of the lives of my friends and family, at a much lower cost than old-school long-distance phone service or plane tickets. That's a good thing.