The White Shadow, Ken Howard, dead at 71

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 24, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Pick your news story out there, but the best read is from The Hollywood Reporter R.I.P., Coach: Tim Goodman on Ken Howard and 'The White Shadow'.

Howard was a good actor. But he may be remembered for pushing the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists into a merger forming what is now known as SAG-AFTRA. The article in "The Company Town" section of the L.A. Times Ken Howard, actor and president of SAG-AFTRA, dies at 71 explains:

RIP Mr. Howard.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    R.I.P. Ken

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I first saw him in the movie "Such Good Friends" back in 1971, but since he was nobody back then, I didn't learn that Coach Reeves had previously been a character whose earlier role I had enjoyed until I saw that movie again many years later.

Ken went to Amherst College in the 1960s and when he visited there in the 1980s and 1990s, he would often drop in at Barselotti's, where I did some business but I never did get to met him, which was too bad for me, because I really want to ask him about the Bloody Mary's dialog from that movie, which seemed like something they might have "winged", perhaps in response to having difficulty arranging the timing of the waiter servicing their table. (spoiler alert) "What took you so long?" "Is the bartender standing there with a bottle of Vodka in one hand and a can of tomato juice in the other?" "I'll have the special of the house." "I don't mean to offend you, but the "n" in Monsieur is silent." "I am not offended, Monsieur. I am just amused by the way you pronounce 'Monsieur'."

4. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    S'long Coach, may you rest in peace.