1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Women of "Mad Men"

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 15, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd say it's a nice, quick read, but I was hoping for something more insightful. I find it very interesting that these women have been able to dig really deep and come up with some amazing performances. When you look at Elisabeth Moss' work in The West Wing you don't see any of that brilliance, and I would have easily dismissed January Jones as another actress/model type. Where are they getting this great acting from?

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I guess you have find women who have the judgement to ignore their agents, internet groupies, and Ashton Kutcher types.;)

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Brilliantly put, old friend.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    One other thing they share in common is Matt Weiner's direction.

From the show's Wiki page:

Tim Hunter, the director of a half-dozen episodes from the show's first two seasons, called Mad Men a "very well-run show".

“They have a lot of production meetings during pre-production. The day the script comes in we all meet for a first page turn, and Matt starts telling us how he envisions it. Then there's a quote-unquote "tone" meeting a few days later where Matt tells us how he envisions it. And then there's a final full crew production meeting where Matt...well, you know."

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Good point. Just about everything on this show reflects his careful planning and direction.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If you haven't seen the November January GQ photos, you can check them out here, along with a video of the photo shoot. Hubbah, Hubbah!