1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They paid me to rent their car

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Jan 28, 2012.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I needed a short term car rental from and back to an airport. The lowest rates are on the internet, so I reserved a Versa hatchback, which is a damn nice car, for the remarkably low price of $8+ a day, and just $14+ total per day including all the taxes and fees. At the rental counter, I declined their fueling option, which is that I think you pay like $3.40 per gallon for a full tank and bring it back without refilling, or otherwise they charge about $5 a gallon to replenish it. I need an excuse to stop at the junkfood store when I return a rental car, so I never take the prepaid fuel option.

The Versa is purported to get well over 30 MPG so after 260 miles of driving, I figured to be down maybe 7 or 8 gallons, but I got hung up by rush hour traffic and decided that it wasn't worth the risk of mssing my flight and decided to instead pay the replenishment price of $5 a gallon, figuring that my "penalty", calculated as the difference between the local pump price and the quoted refueling charge, was about $1.60 a gallon. It was worth $10 to me to make sure I make the flight, because I had a discount ticket that would be forfeited and would have to pay another $95 to catch the next shuttle an hour later if I missed this one.

The attendand processed my return and laughed as he handed me the printout and said, "You only paid $14!" and I said, "It's more than that because I didn't refill the tank" and he replied, "I didn't charge you for the gas".

I figured that a big national airport car rental company would have goofproofed their system such that, when they refilled the car, their accounting process would detect that there was a gas charge due, but the debit to my credit card account came through today for $14+, with no gas added. Since the gas I used must have cost them $25 to $30, they actually paid me over $10 to rent their car.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I would have had to been paid more than that to drive a Versa:)

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    They got me (I think). I just rented another car from them and, in addition to the quoted charge of $39.57, labeled Enterprise Car Rental, Boston, there is seperate charge for $47.48 for Enterprise Car Rental that doesn't specify a location. I just knew I wasn't going to get away with it.