1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"They" say only 50% of DVR users skip the commercials.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TBlazer07, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1 of 60
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
  2. Nov 2, 2009 #2 of 60
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #3 of 60
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I can believe this. I've been known to "watch" commercials sometimes .. especially when the TV is on in the background and I'm only half watching it.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #4 of 60
    Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    I would agree with Doug. If the TV is on in the background I may be more inclined to look up and "watch" a commercial occasionally if it catches my eye like a movie trailer or something. Now if I am really watching a show then I will FF through the commercials.

5. Nov 2, 2009 #5 of 60
    Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Interesting. At first I thought the high level of commercial watching was because people with DVRs still watch some shows live, and therefore can't skip commercials.

But the study is saying that 46% of viewers watching recorded programs don't skip commercials during playback.

I often don't skip commercials, but I can't give an explanation of why.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #6 of 60
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    We watch some shows... gasp... LIVE. :eek:

7. Nov 2, 2009 #7 of 60
    CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    I sometimes fall asleep and my wife throws something at me to get my attention and fast-forward through the commercials. :D

Just let her control the remote, you say? Not gonna happen. ;)

8. Nov 2, 2009 #8 of 60
    JayB

JayB Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    Personally, I always skip the commercials (except, of course, the one or two times a year I watch live). My sister, however, never, ever fast forwards though commercials. She says she "forgets" she's watching a recording when the commercials come on. Personally, I think it's how you think about TV - when I finally got old enough growing up that I could have my own TV to control, I also got Time Warner's old QUBE service with all it's little buttons and such to play with. So for me, TV has always been somewhat interactive. My sister though, at 13 years older than myself, grew up with passive TV: no remote, 3 networks, turn on the TV and sit staring at it for the next 4 hours. She simply doesn't see TV as something she has any control of - despite the fact that she loves her DVR and very rarely watches anything live as she works evenings. Just a different way of thinking.

9. Nov 2, 2009 #9 of 60
    oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    If I don't skip the commercials, my wife will start clearing her throat and making "remote gestures" with her hands. At some point she will point out that I am not doing my job. With nods at Stan Lee, with great remote comes great responsibility.

10. RCY

RCY Godfather

Nov 16, 2005
    My problem is I've gotten so used to skipping through commercials, or hitting skip back, that I want to do that in the car when I'm listening to the radio. ;-)

Other than the occasional movie or TV program trailer, no one in my house watches commercials anymore. I'm glad "they" beleive they are still getting 50% penetration with commercials. Keeps "them" from thinking about things "they" shouldn't...

11. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
  12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Not skipping them because you're not paying attention is one thing, but not skipping them while you are actively watching a recorded show is heresy. :lol:

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    There are times I use the 30-second slip/skip alot when viewing, and other times....watch the commercials too.

It depends on the content, time of year, and creativity of the commercials.

So I guess I could eb in either camp, depending on what day you ask. :D:lol:

14. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    I wish DBST had "like" function as Facebook does. I would "like" this post. :D

15. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I fast forward through commercials -- example: the several very lengthy commercial segments on Mad Men.

Also, I slip/skip watching pro football. It's timed perfectly, so that after a tackle, one push and you're ready to go for the next play, and can skip the analysis, etc. Also, of course, a fast forward through the commercials, and I can cut a game just about in half. (The way the Packers are playing this year, it's a blessing!)

Stan

16. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I do this also. Another reasons is that sometimes I am FF when I see an advert for a new movie or a product I am interested in, I then watch that advert and most times let the rest of them just play out.

17. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Unless we just have a temporary brain lapse, we always skip commercials when watching recorded programs. We have his and hers remotes, so it's unlikely that both of us forget, but it does happen every so often. Now, the big problem I have is that my wife fails to understand the real power of the DVR. She still likes to watch live TV. I can understand this when it's something like the Idol season finale, but for the drama shows we typically watch, I prefer to choose a saved show, even when something live is on that I want to watch. This allows commercial skipping, plus being able to watch three hours of broadcast TV in about two.

18. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Even if I wanted to watch commercials I would not be able to, my wife says something if we get more then 2 seconds into a commercial.

The only thing we watch live is football. Have to watch commercials then.

19. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    Other than foorball, we almost never watch anything live. So I almost never watch commercials. Watching an hour show in around 40 minutes is great!

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I have watched a complete football game in less than an hour by fast forwarding thru commercials, instant replays, penalties, time outs, etc.