1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They want to take my HR20-700 and it's loaded with programs!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Hollingshead, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 #1 of 17
    Hollingshead

Hollingshead Cool Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Hi,

DirecTV is here to fix a problem with the 103 satellite, especially the 103ca, where I can't receive any of the odd transpoders, but can receive all the evens and all the 103cb and, in fact, everything else. He's replaced the LNB and the BBC's, but no go, so he wants to swap the HR20.

Well, I just got back from 10 days out of town and so the HR20 is packed with stuff that I can't easily replace. I do have another HR20 upstairs that is connected to an external drive. If I swap hard drives and let him take the blank one from the other HR20, will the swapped HD play in the other HR20?

The installer is very nice and seems quite competent, but I really don't want to lose all that programming!

Thaniks,
    Kevin

2. Oct 1, 2010 #2 of 17
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Hard drives cant be moved from one DVR to another. No easy way to move the content.

3. Oct 1, 2010 #3 of 17
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No, the recordings are married to the DVR on which they were recorded.

4. Oct 1, 2010 #4 of 17
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It won't play on another DVR.

Try swapping the two you already have and see if that fixes it, then you might have a better knowledge if it is the IRD or not.

5. Oct 1, 2010 #5 of 17
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    So, just go an add the new box as an additional receiver for a month and watch the stuff on the old one. Then send it in when you are done. IT will cost you 5 bucks but its the only way.

6. Oct 1, 2010 #6 of 17
    Void4545

Void4545 Mentor

May 1, 2007
    You could dump it to a dvd recorder.

But they're an endangered species now thanks to everyone getting hypnotized by their Tivo's and DVR's. You can't own a hard copy of your programs. Or take one to a friend's house. Or watch them without permission from some third party.

7. Oct 1, 2010 #7 of 17
    drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    That will also trigger a new 2 year obligation. If you watch all your recorded shows and then exchange it as defective the cost would be zero with the protection plan or free/$19.98 without it.

8. Oct 4, 2010 #8 of 17
    Hollingshead

Hollingshead Cool Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions. I went the route LeeL suggested. I didn't want to lost the chance to get two new HR24's. So I'll pay the $5/month until we have seen all the old stuff.

Love the speed and appearance of the HR24, but is it a known problem that the audio dropouts are worse than the HR20? I seem to be getting them more often and on more channels than I did.

By the way, I had to wait until I got to work to respond because IE9 Beta repeatedly crashed while I was trying to reply over the weekend.

9. Oct 4, 2010 #9 of 17
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With the HR24-500, there were problems with recording/buffering that was corrected with 0x0410.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Does your DVR have 2 cables connected to it ?
    If yes, switch the cables and see if the problem switches to the receiving the odd and not the even transponders. If it does switch the problem might be in a connector or the cable itself.

11. CTskydiver

CTskydiver Cool Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Is there even a HARD way to move the content?

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Build you own miniature OTA broadcasting device and connect it to the old unit. Connect and AM21 to the new unit. You fill in the rest. :D

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont think there are any consumer ATSC modulators available.

14. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    He said HARD way. Designing and building one wouldn't be easy. :lol:

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There is NO way to move the content, but you can use a capture card in a pc and record the shows to another device, or use a dvd recorder to make decent copies, but those of course are not HD.

17. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Kevin, this is the key nugget of information. If there is no problem with 103 on this other DVR, then that limits the problem to either the first DVR or the LNB or switch (or the cabling to the first DVR).

I would swap the DVRs (physical locations...move the external to stay with its original DVR). This will either eliminate or indicate the first DVR as the problem. If it is, so be it. But you seem like it may not be a foregone conclusion and that this may be a hail mary from the tech who may not have any other ideas. The swap will tell you for sure.

That is step one of Troubleshooting 101. If the tech has not yet gotten to that step and is stumped, I would be questioning his skills right about now, and would be reticent to part with the DVR for no real good reason also. One of the problems with Ka signals is that most techs can't read them directly on a signal level meter (dish setup is done strictly to Ku for that reason). So I am guessing he has not hooked a Ka SLM directly to the cables that go into the back of the DVR. That would also tell you a few things, if he had one. Or, he could try a DVR off the truck in that location temporarily to test the signal strength on 103. All of that should happen before you give up the DVR.

Assuming all of this proves the DVR faulty, you have no option. But if you get a DVDR with a HDD built in, you can dub all of your stuff off. It will be 480i quality, but many models will preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio, such as my Philips does, and a 480i dub of HD looks amazingly close to HD and much better than SD as it comes through the sat or OTA (it will be DVD quality). You can dub an entire folder of shows at once by pressing play on the closed folder (it will play back each show in chronological order; set the record time on the DVDR accordingly) then edit (or not) the long HDD copy later.