1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They won't send me a genie mini without a technician

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by djwww98, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Nov 3, 2017 #1 of 11
    djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    My HR24-100 finally quit. It's many years old, was overheating, had to unplug it, then it would overheat again within a few hours so I unplug it. Did this several times, the last time when I plugged it in a loud bad noise like a failed fan. Anyway, I need to replace it with a Genie Mini Client. Called and she said the only way they can send me one is with a technician with a $49 charge. I just want them to send it to me and I'll install it myself, but she said they couldn't do that. Is that normal? I installed my entire system myself and it's worked just fine for a decade and a half. Why can't they just send it me UPS?
    Also, on Solid Signal, it seems the Genie Mini Client (C61K) is the same thing as a Genie Mini Client for Genie HD DVR and are the same price except the C61K is 4K capable. Is that correct? My primary receiver is an HR44-200.

2. Nov 7, 2017 #2 of 11
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    you can use c61k, yes, you do not have to have a 4k tv they still work. They are however missing the 10 pin output if you would happen to need audio for older sound bar or something.

I can get anyone a client or receiver without a tech visit, most of the time for free.

3. Nov 8, 2017 #3 of 11
    b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I think what is happening is that you are adding a Genie mini to a system that has not had one n that particular location. They want to send the tech to make sure it works in that installation. If you were just replacing your failed HR, they would drop ship it without question. It doesn't seem to make sense, but if you were trying to get a mini installed in a room that never had a system in it, the same would apply. PS. Why don't you just get a replacement for the HR?

4. Nov 8, 2017 #4 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Your choice- If you pay $49 for a Tech visit for a repair / replacement -them NO 2 yr Commit- If the commitment Doesn't bother you - Order one from solid signal for $99 and the when you receive it call Solid signal and they activate it and add it to your account.

5. Nov 8, 2017 #5 of 11
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Why do you 'need' to replace the failed HR24 with a mini client? Why not just another HR24? They will ship that to you. $19.50 for shipping (plus tax) or free if you have the protection plan. No change in your contract either for replacing a failed unit.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I had a Genie and Mini installed yesterday (to replace 2 HR24-200s) and D* also required a tech to install them. I could easily have installed them myself since it was really just plug and play, but they wouldn't allow it. The tech was here for about 20 mins. tops.

7. Blackloz

Blackloz New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    That’s why I always order from a retailer. No tech visits ever.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If one in 10 or 20 can do a proper install, it makes sense to always send a tech, as you don't know who that guy who does it right is. Sometimes the dish needs pointing, or changing the LNB, among other things than simply wiring up receivers.

9. scglowic

scglowic Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    I have purched all my genie hr54 and c61k clients on the internet. the key is to online chat with directv. if you call they will say that they have to send an installer. if you just chat online and say you have a client that needs to be put into your account they will do it no problem. Seems as though their different systems don't talk to each other. I have noticed that when i call they don't have any record of a genie or clients in my account, it just shows my old school hd dvrs in their system. But when i log into my directv account it all show correctly.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That doesn’t seem right even for their messed up system. ;)

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It can also depend on the CSR you happen to get. I had a replacement issue with an HR24, and the first one insisted on a tech visit, (to make sure the unit was bricked, apparently, though I went through every test known to mankind), which I didn't want. Later, I decided a tech visit might be good to check on some other aspect, and that CSR wouldn't send one at all- without a fee, that is!