Things still going SWMmingly ....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by dmurphy, Oct 24, 2008.

1. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Can't say there's much to talk about - the SWM-8 Just Works™.

On a different note - the one "interesting" thing I've seen is that we've had a major software revision - my unit has SWM firmware 2.0.16 ... the latest "non-field-trial" version we've seen thus far is still in the 1.x series...

So what's new about Version 2? Could we be looking at a 4-tuner DVR coming down the pike? Is V2 the TiVo-compatible release? Will the SWM-8 do the Monster Mash for Halloween?

Who knows?? Hearsay, speculation and conjecture are all we've got ... ;-)

2. bsboggs

bsboggs Legend

Oct 18, 2007
    Have to say I agree. The SWM-8 has been trouble free.
    Pun not intended ... else I would've amended.
    OK, so I had a little fun. :D

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect it may have more to do with support for future features than future devices....as they try to keep those with some form of level playing field...

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Things are going great at my place too. I was concerned the day of the forced reboots because I had read that we should really boot our boxes in some kind of sequence so that only one may be "talking" to the SWM at a time during startup, but I had no problems when all three reset within seconds of each other - way faster than I can "0 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8" in three different rooms! :lol: I don't anticipate any problems with the CE resets tonight. :)

5. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Ooh! Ooh! My first SWM CE .... cool beans!

So what's the over/under on starting a new CE cycle tonight, or a "tweaking" of the previous cycle?

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Since the last CE was pushed out National...this will be the first pass at a new CE cycle.

7. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Not necessarily .... we've seen CE's "go national" before with a follow-on CE in the same cycle.

It appears to me that the 0x290 release was pushed out really, really fast - probably in response to the hanging receiver issues we've encountered.

It may be one of those "good enough to get us through the week" with a few more tweaks to come ... we shall see!

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Not so my friend....0290 was the 8th or 9th round of the CE cycle.......fast?......not hardly.

As for a follow-up to a NR...that only happened once, when a problem was detected at the last minute. 0290 has received strong tester positive feedback with only a very few minor issues remaining....and its reams more solid than the NR it replaced.

The CE tonight is set to start a new CE cycle.

9. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Agreed - Cycle 12 was (is?) one of the longest to date, and best-tested.

I meant that the actual deployment to national went quick - it was pumped out across the board in a matter of hours .... it's usually a phased approach.

I also agree that it's MUCH better than what it replaced... I guess my point is that if there are niggling bugs that have been seen since NR (that we may or may not be aware of), there may be one more revision.

But as for me? I say BRING IT! Believe me, I want a new cycle as bad as anyone else... I just think it's within the realm of possibility that this may be an extension of CE:12.

(but that's just me ... I'd rather convince myself that we're going to get one more rev of CE:12 and be surprised, than expect CE:13 and get disappointed if CE:12 reappears :)

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I agree with your general concept....it certainly could be an "extension" CE...it has happened once before in the past year.

I have reason to believe it is a new series...and the good news is that in less than 90 minutes...we'll know for sure.

It actually felt a bit good to get 0290 out there to the mainstream, as there has been a good wait for some of the fixes and improvements in the National version for some time.

11. Dirac

Dirac Legend

Apr 23, 2007
    Also doing great here with the SWM-8... no issues to report!

12. drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    havent been home at all lately due to work, but family has reported that everything on the second DVR is working fine. No one has noticed a difference in anything since i installed the SWM.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Running 3 HD DVR's and one HD receiver (7 ports) on the SWM8 successfully now since day one. I left my other HD reciever on the parallel SWM5 unit I have, just to maintain usage and testing on both devices.

With the 2 SWM units running together in parallel (a total of 13 ports available, 8 used) via Skywalker splitters, all signal levels are solid, stable, and strong.

14. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Same here after a couple of weeks. Six SMW tuner channels occupied (HR20, HR21, R22) and two legacy ports (R15) running great, two ports in use on the WB68 installed in parallel (R15). My signals on 99/103 are all 2 - 4 points higher, 101/110/119 remain pegged in the upper 90's - 100. All in all, an easy, no-brainer type upgrade. :)

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I forgot to mention that my 2 HR20-700's are also running OTA channels cleanly through the OTA port on the SWM8, along with the combiner on the DVR input end...

16. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    My apologies for waiting so long, but do you have any salt? This crow is rather bland ... :)

Welcome to the new cycle... so far so good!

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    We don't work that way here...its one happy CE family. :D

18. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    Once again, I am reporting that I have nothing to report on the SWM8. Rock Solid. Nuff said.:grin:

19. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Three weeks straight without so much of a glitch on any box connected to the SWM . . . so what exactly are we testing? This thing is ready for Prime Time. :)

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Having now thoroughly tested the SWM8 (running in parallel to an SWM5) set up with the Skywalker splitters...my experience has been that these units are solid as a rock.

I have checked signal levels about 2 times per week on all the HD units connected (no variances), and also seen various weather situations, whereby a solid signal was received, even through heavy rain on 2 days.

Looking at things holistically...I think that the SWM devices themselves has been one of the most positive, useful, and reliable technologies I've seen from DirecTV in the entire 10+ years that I've been a customer.