Thinking about getting a TV for Gaming. LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Ron Barry, Nov 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Ok guys. I am thinking about getting a TV to play games on. Its main purpose will be Wii or PS3 Gaming. Also plan on watching the occassional Blu-Ray on the box.

From my searching.. Seems LCDs jump from 46 to 52 inches with a few 47" sets out there. Plasma offers 50".

I am not looking to spend a ton of money but want a decent set with good picture quality.

I am leaning towards LCD since It will be used for games 90% of the time.

Anybody have any thoughts on this.

2. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
  3. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Wish I could go that big but space is an issue and it is extra TV that the kids can have access to to play games. I won't even have any regular TV connected to it.

Nice set... In a couple years I think I will be going with something like that. :D

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I'm pretty happy with the two Vizio 32" sets I purchased at Sears. Costco sells them as well.

Here's a 47"/1080p w/4 HDMI inputs for $899.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...12&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

As you say...I would definitely go with LCD. Burn-in or even picture residue is a PITA with Plasma. I can't wait for my living room plasma to die out so that I can replace it with an LCD.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Sears was and I think BB now is running a special with the Sony V5100 Series Bravias. They are at a good discount plus a free Sony BR player. I think Amazon has the same deal even cheaper. Plus no tax and free shipping.

Check out slickdeals.net and scroll down till you find Sony. They have both the 40 and 46 listed. Didn't see a 52.

6. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I have a Vizio LCD 42" and a Sammy Plasma 50". My plasma gives me a better picture. I dont do gaming but for movies I tend to like Plasma tv's.

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Watch for the BF ad from Best Buy and check on the Insignia 42 and 47 inch 1080p receivers. They're surprisingly good and reasonably priced. If you're a member of Sam's or Costco, check the Vizio, Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic models they have. Also, check the difference in PQ between the 60 Hz. and 120 Hz. models.

8. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    I have been thinking that I definitely want to go with the 120Hz models because of the fast motion in games. Definitely some good deals on 60hz models but since Gaming is going to be 90% I figured I would go with 120hz.

So if you guys had a choice of LCD 46" vs 50" Plasma and it was going to be used for 90% gaming, what direction would you go. TV models would be middle of the road sets.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I've been gaming on my new Panasonic TC-P42S1, gaming is incredible on this set...

10. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    46" LCD will be my choice

11. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    You might consider a Mitsubishi DLP set... They're deeper than an LCD or Plasma, but are much less expensive for the same size screen - and some of them are capable of 3D w/o the use of those funky glasses (with the appropriate sources). They don't run as hot as LCD or Plasma and there's no smear like you can get with LCD or Plasma. The only downside is that they use a bulb that burns out sooner or later. I have a 65" set that I really like.

12. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    They are also bulkier than LCD or Plasma tv's and the bulbs last a long time is they are turned on & off improperly but those are the main disadvantages i see for DLP's. My 42" has lasted me for 5 years with the same bulb :D (knock on wood) and it's still going strong

13. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I bought a Vizio 32" HDTV from Dell for $500. SV320XVT. It has 1080P, 3 HDMI ports and 120Hz and it works and looks great.