Thinking about leaving direct

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chazfar, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Feb 8, 2019 #1 of 11
    Chazfar

Chazfar New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Because of too high pricing.What kind of dvr does dish use and I need at least a dvr that can do five recordings or more.
    I have two TVs and may add a third if the cost is not to much.I don’t care about HBO but do want showtime and the golf channel is a must.
    The wife needs hdtv and a mystery movie channel.
    What package to you recommend ?

2. Feb 8, 2019 #2 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has several receiver options. The receivers offered to new customers depend on how many TVs you have and your credit rating. DISH will send the higher end DVRs to customers who generate larger bills and pay their bills. If DISH's offer is less than the equipment you want you can pay a lease upgrade fee.

The non-DVR system involves Wally receivers. They are single tuner single location receivers but one can add their own external hard drive. The external drive activates a second tuners and one can watch one program while recording another.

The low end DVR is the Hopper Duo. This is a two tuner DVR with a built in hard drive. One can add a Joey (client) to the Hopper Duo and share the two tuners and recorded content on two TVs. If you ask DISH for a two TV set up they will probably offer the Hopper Duo ... get something better!

The current standard DVR is the Hopper with Sling. This receiver has three tuners but can record up to four of the major broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) at the same time on one tuner. The tuner sharing can occur any time 24/7, not just during prime time so it can help if you watch the major broadcast networks. One can add multiple Joeys and/or one "Super Joey" to a Hopper with Sling. The "Super Joey" adds two additional satellite tuners, so this would meet your minimum system - two TVs and five tuners - and allow you to add a regular Joey for the potential third TV.

The top of the line is the "conflict free" Hopper 3. 16 tuners. More than enough for most people to record whatever is on. Add Joeys for additional TVs. The Hopper 3 is also a 4K receiver (4K outputs on the main receiver). One can also add 4K Joeys if one has more than one 4K set.

"AT200" is DISH's "most popular" package. "AT120" takes away a few channels (including regional sports unless one subscribes to AT120 Plus). "AT250" adds a few channels. Showtime is available as a premium service.

reubenray and NYDutch like this.
  3. Feb 9, 2019 #3 of 11
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    If necessary it is absolutely worth it to pay a onetime extra to get the Hopper3.

dennispap likes this.
  4. Feb 9, 2019 #4 of 11
    Ronald Kohlman

Ronald Kohlman New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    I just switched from Directv to Dish. I had the same issue with Directv...Price...my bill skyrocketed and I was tired of calling trying to get credits. In January I got an offer in the mail from Dish, I choose America's Top 250 package and got Showtime and Dish movie pack free for 3 months. I got the 2 year price guarantee and a $300 gift card. My bill with the extra tvs and taxes is $125.12, better than the $208 from Directv. I was getting hosed on fees from Directv including that stupid regional sports fee in which mine was $6.88 a month. My free installation came with a Hopper 2 DVR, but I paid the $150 upgrade to the Hopper 3 that can record 16 shows and has a 2TB Hard drive. I also am a fan of the Epix movie package that Directv continues to ignore adding. I was a Directv customer since 2004, long time, just got tired of the broken promises and I also feel that since AT&T took them over they have declined rapidly. I am very happy with my Dish service.

jtb50 likes this.
  5. Feb 9, 2019 #5 of 11
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    My friend's brother just switched from Dish to Direct as he missed HBO. I told him just get HBO streaming on a Fire Stick as I did. But he did not want to do that. He now has Direct as of Friday. He listened to the hype from the sales person and made the switch. For the first year he is paying $125 a month for the Premium Pack with two receivers. The second year he was told there would be discounts and the bill would be $160. By the 3rd year I told him it would be $204 ($189+$15 second receiver). I think in time he will move back to Dish. Direct TV is too expensive for me. It always has been more than Dish because of the tons of Sports. Sports channels are expensive. I do not believe Direct has any inexpensive packs like Dish either, like the Welcome Pack. The cheapest pack I could find listed was one for $81 (retail). I never pay much attention to the discounted first year, as I do not want to switch back and forth. For my $83 a month, Dish Rocks!. Been with them for 20 years. Like you, I enjoy channels like Epix Direct doesn't have. Plus I like all of the OTA diginets they have added like Get TV, Buzzr, Laff, Grit, MeTV.

6. Feb 9, 2019 #6 of 11
    Ronald Kohlman

Ronald Kohlman New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    I love those ota extras also, plus i got the ota usb adapter and i added the 28 locals i get including comet tv

mwdxer likes this.
  7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Without Dish, I would miss a lot of channels. I compared the main channels between Dish and Direct last night, ex Sports. Except for a very few like CNBC World, BBC World not in HD, One, and MHZ. There is not much I am missing. If I had Direct, I would miss a ton of stuff like Epix 1/2/3/Drive In, Retro, Pixl, Inde, Buzzr, Get TV, Laff, Grit, Bounce, MeTV, etc. For what I pay, Dish is a great deal. At least for me.

8. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I recently switched for the same reason as many others which was the cost that Directv has risen to. I got the Hopper 3 for no additional cost plus a Joey with the AT200 package. I also got a $300 gift card.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They have cheaper packages. But they don’t necessarily promote them.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Dish will never be an option for me. No Lakers channel.

But... if they have the channels you want... I suggest just putting DIRECTV on hold and trying dish before canceling. Just a thought.

11. jtb50

jtb50 AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    Just left Directv after 20 years. Not the same since ATT took over. I got the hopper3 plus the 300 gift card. Very happy so far. Amazed how fast the hopper 3 is.

anex80 and reubenray like this.