Thinking about lowering my package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cyfman, Nov 14, 2019.

1. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    And my question is what is the lowest pkg you need to have to keep the 4K Programing? Have had Premier since the start but getting harder and harder to keep paying that big amount for no more channels that we watch on a regular basis.

Thanks

Jerry

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Select

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    According to Patricia M at DIRECTV Chat you can subscribe to any package and subscribe to 4K service.

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    From the D* 4k page:

Watch 4K Movies, TV Shows & Live Events | DIRECTV

"**ENTERTAINMENT Package or Higher. Terms: Limited programming available. To watch in 4K, 4K equipment, minimum programming, 4K account authorization and professional installation required. Other conditions apply."

5. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    I'm already set up with 4K and after doing some more looking I should be able to drop down at least 2 grades of programming to Extra and 4K is included.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Call DIRECTV or use Chat and see if they give you the same answer I got.

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    What are the odds of that happening?

[​IMG]

8. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    For 4K service you need a current English or Spanish base package and Select/Mas Latino are the minimal packages required. Grandfathered English & Spanish base packages, WorldDirect base packages, Family and Preferred Xtra do not include 4K programming.

Sports programming requires Entertainment and above. Some 4K programming requires you to have a higher package (i.e. 4K MLB games require Choice and above because the minimal package needed for MLB Network is Choice.)

Athlon646464 likes this.
  9. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I have Preferred XTRA and have 4K.

10. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    I use to have xtra, then with price increase I lowered to preferred xtra to save couple of dollars and to lose the sports fee. They added most of the sports back complimentary. ESPN u, ESPNews, golf, nfl, cbs sports, big 10, fs2, Fox sports south. Well. Finally got tired of the high price. I dropped down to entertainment about 20-25 cheaper a month and no sports fees. I was surprised my complimentary sports channels still work. Also a few days later they added more complimentary channels. Travel ch, Game show, sundance, and cooking. So pretty much got most channels as had before minus some basic channels. So well worth the drop of package to me. May be a option for some to try. when they add comp channels, a few days after lowering package the they will start getting added some every few days. Start looking at your online acct. you will see channels at $0 in transactions.

P Smith likes this.
  11. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Ah cool, originally 4K service was regulated to the higher end packages (i.e. Ultimate/Premier/Lo Maximo) then they expanded it to Select/Mas Latino. I know defiantly Family & Grandfathered Packages do not have 4K and I have been warned by friends that work at AT&T call centers that when they move customers to Family the systems will remove 4K access from the account. When they try to upgrade customers on grandfathered packages to 4K equipment the 4K Service line item will not show up on their account until the rep places them in an active base package.

Preferred Xtra has always been treated a bit differently since it is a retention only package at heart. D* would add new channels to it when they would add new channels to Xtra/Ultimate (i.e. Aspire) when AT&T took over they stopped adding new channels to Preferred Xtra (i.e. FM).

I just know one time when I called in and an agent used their internal package compare tool to see the difference between Premier and Preferred Xtra it told her all 4K channels would be removed upon switching to Preferred Xtra. However their tool seems to be mistaken since the system didn't remove 4K access from your account.