1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about make the switch from Brighthouse to Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by McAnally, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McAnally

McAnally New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I am thinking about switching from cable to Dish but I have some questions. I currently have two SA HD DVR's (8300HD and 8300HDC) and am happy enough with my service except for no NFL Network HD, Sun Sports HD, or FSN Florida HD. If I could get those through BHN I would stay with what I have, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. I also like the additional Regional Sports Networks that Dish offers. Dish isn't the perfect solution either since I have two HDTV's and I can only get one free HD DVR from them ($500 for the second one). From what I've read the 722 is going to send a SD signal to the second set. Dish also doesn't offer locals in HD in my area (Orlando, FL). I figure I'd sign up without the 18 month contract and give it a shot for a month or two and keep cable until I decide which is better. So here are my questions:

(1) Will I need more than one dish to get the HD channels for Orlando, FL (excluding the OTA I'm going to need)? What directions with the dish(es) need to face?

(2) I guess the signal/picture quality is only as good as the install so do people normally sign up through a local retailer/installer so they can guarantee who is going to do the work or do you roll the dice with whoever Dish sends out? Any good referrals for Central Florida installers?

(3) How many tv's can one OTA support? How do you distribute the signal to the multiple tv's?

(4) Is it possible to record and watch HD on two tv's with one 722?

This is a great forum. Thanks for the help.

2. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    I'm in Merritt Island. Tired of not being able to watch the Magic on FSN Florida? :)

1. You will need 2 dishes. One will face southwest to pick up the 110 & 119 orbital locations and the 2nd one will face southeast to get 61.5.

2. I've always gone through Dish Network and have had excellent installs

3. You can split OTA as many times as you want. The more you do it, the more likely you will need a distribution amp. You use regular cable splitters to distribute. You can also use diplexers which will combine the sat & OTA signals through one cable. You then use another diplexer on the other end to split them back out at the receiver.

4. You can watch HD on 2 TV's, but it will be the same picture on both TV's. You can use HDMI on one TV & component on the 2nd or use an HDMI splitter for both.

3. McAnally

McAnally New Member

Dec 8, 2007

You nailed it. That and the Thursday night NFL games, soon to be some NFL playoff games. Thanks for answering my questions.

4. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    You will not be able to get a free 722 unless you make the 18 month commitment.
    I do not know how you could test E* for a month or two, unless you buy
    a 722 receiver. I own my 722 and 622 receivers, so I can cancel E* at any time.
    But I also laid out the cash for the receivers.

5. McAnally

McAnally New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I spoke to Dish and they offered DishHD free for six months and a free HD DVR. Without the 18 month commitment I wouldn't get the $49.99 activation fee back.

6. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    DIRECTV would have you watch the skies tonight and Saturday to see the NFL Network on the Blimp. It will be in Florida, mostly because of the Brighthouse thing.

7. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    If the $50 is the only penalty for canceling after a month or two, that is different
    then what I thought the cancellation penalty was. I thought the cancellation penalty was $240 prorated over 18 months. But maybe it has changed.

8. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    You do have the option of not getting your $49.99 activation fee back and signing up as a month to month customer instead of getting your $49.99 back as a credit and signing up for 18 mos. Obviously Dish prefers that you sign up for 18 mos so that's what they push. But yeah if you don't mind parting w/ 50 bucks there's no 18 month contract, if you're one of those people who are afraid of commitment. :D

9. McAnally

McAnally New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    No fear of commitment :D , just a problem with being asked to commit to a satellite company for longer than some people commit to a marriage. To get the service the way I would ideally need it would take two DVR's, i.e. $500 out of my pocket and an 18 month contract. That's more than I would like to spend just to see if satellite would be a better fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.