1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Moving On...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mobouser, Jul 17, 2012.

1. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Just got an offer from TWC; 2 years no commit, 90.00 monthly for cable, phone and internet. I know, I know that offer or something similar has been around for awhile but now I'm paying attention.
    I go way back with DTV installed my first dish myself and remember the days when they had no CSR staff to speak to and you kept the service or you did not. Back then it was really unique to have satellite digital service now its no big deal. The company I believe with profits and client base soaring has a much higher turnover actuarial rate and so no reason to keep customers satisfied. Everyone is somewhat expendable and their really penny pinching everywhere like I just lost my free HD. and I'm paying the regional sports fee who knows whats next. I know reduce services Viacom gone.
    Still you say TWC service sucks well your right but its cheap and I happen to own a TIVO Premier which I will activate 15 more a month plus a couple for the cable card. All in all that's about 60 less than I'm paying now for everything and no more cleaning the dish in the winter and wondering when the service will cut out because of the heavy rain storms. Oh and yes I'm no fool I will check with retention first thanks for reading. Paul D

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    As always, make sure you consider EVERYTHING. Does TWC have a decent DVR? Whole home? How much do they charge per receiver? What are the hidden costs? Are they only quoting you intro prices?

And you may just want to suspend DirecTV so that if you decide to come back you won't incur any charges.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would suspend your DirecTV service rather than outright canceling if you go to TWC.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He wouldn't use Time Warner's, but a TiVo Premiere.

5. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    I may be jumping to Charter either when my contract is up, or if this viacom thing drags on too long. I did a price check online, and with phone and internet and one of their tv packages with a mix of channels my household watches it would be 159 bucks combined. AT&T Uverse with phone and TV would be 135 bucks with a 50 dollar reward card. Currently I pay 106.40 for direct and 195 combined with charter internet and phone. Right now, I am just looking but I may be switching either in September when the contract is up or sooner then that possibly.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'll be very surprised if this dispute isn't wrapped up this week.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you don't have ATT now why not call DIRECTV and see what you can do if you order internet through them.

8. Traegon

Traegon Cool Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Yeah. ATT is one of the companies you can bundle your DTV with.. You can either call ATT and do it through them or call DTV and do it through them, though offers can differ slightly depending on who you do it through. You can even join the bills if you want.

9. falkor

falkor New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    So he is leaving . Okay . Thanks for sharing and enjoy TWC ! Gotta do what you gotta do . Just saying bye would have been easier

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    if it's anything like comcast hidden stuff is likely to be only STANDARD SERVICE at that price and you have to pay more to get the higher DIGITAL pack with stuff like MLB Network, NBa tV, ESPNU, ESPNnews and others.

box costs can be up to $7-$10 each + $14-$18 each drv.

may not have BIG ten ALT HD or MSG ALT HD.

Need sports pack to get
    NHL network
    Big ten

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    TWC has awesome customer service (IMHO, much better than D*), but their set top boxes stink worse than a swamp full of skunks.

You'll be back :)

12. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I know that the quality of TWC varries widely by location. I left TWC for DirecTV because TWC in my area is awful. YMMV. Since you have no contract with TWC, do as dpeters11 suggested and suspend your DirecTV service for three months. Then, if you still like TWC better, discontinue DirecTV. Personally, I would never go back to TWC. My only other options are DirecTV and Dish.

13. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Man, some of you have reading comprehension issues. Yes, TWC boxes suck, but there are alternatives. Can you say the same for DirecTV?

I'm in my second year of bundling broadband and Digital TV w/ HD w/ TWC and like the thread starter I'm using a TiVo. It hasn't been entirely without issue. The communication issue w/ the tuning adapter for SDV channels crops up from time-to-time, but the last time I used my HRs there were speed issues. Since I've only had one months active service with DirecTV in the last year while service was suspended it might have been solved, but what hasn't been solved is there is no good high speed internet service to bundle with their service. TWC doesn't have that issue.

The point of concern for me is that TWC patent to disable trick play through ads. I hope to get that resolved before making my decision, but one thing I do know, none of these companies operate in a vacuum. They all tend to get in line when it comes to advertising dollars.

There are things I like about both services, but I haven't found the horror stories re TWC to be true any more than DirecTV being without flaws. For me, the provider w/ HSI wins. YMMV

14. dkgoalie

dkgoalie Mentor

Jan 10, 2007
    After 16 years of DirecTV, my wife and I "cut the cable" or "satellite" in this case.

Doing the antenna, and an AppleTV. Savings ~ $111.00 per month.

After one week, no complaints.

Regards...

- dk