Thinking of leaving

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FlBillsfan, Mar 12, 2009.

1. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    With Direct TV raising their price again along with all the problems lately, I am thinking of leaving for FIOS. They are offering $99/Mo for TV, phone & internet for 2 years with a 1 year commitment. I am sure it will cost a little more than that to equal what I have with Direct TV.
    The reason I have not made the move yet is local channels. Both Direct TV & FIOS say I am in the Tampa market even though I live MUCH closer to Ft Myers.
    I can receive Ft Myers OTA from Direct but I don't think I can with Fios. I have however found an answer to that problem. I saw a HD TIVO in Sears for $200 that would get me OTA & a larger hard drive than i think Fios offers. Anyone that has made the move I would appreciate your input.
    THANKS

2. angelzofmadness

angelzofmadness Cool Member

Feb 17, 2009
    only thing to keep in mind is if you use a tivo for fios in place of fios' dvr you wont have access to verizon's ondemand content which in my opinion is one of the pluses to using cable. I have heard though that fios offers more hd channels now than direct. best of luck if you decide to switch!

3. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Thanks. I will use at least one FIOS DVR (maybe 2) I have 4 DVRs with Direct TV but the Fios are Multi room. I will probably suspend my account for 6 Months & see how I like Fios, but I would really appreciate input from someone that has made the switch.

4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I did a cost comparison, and FIOS (HD) was a lot more expensive - mostly due to monthly DVR rental rates.

5. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Yeah I will have to check into that. That is one reason I would go with 2 DVRs & the TIVO vs the 4 I have with Direct TV. I will also get my phone & FIOS internet included, so if the cost is about the same as Direct it would be worth it because I understand the internet is AMAZING. I have the slowest Verizon DSL at this time.

6. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Take Off over to Fios or whatever the heck it is. I will keep my DirecTv so I can continue to get NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. That's my reasons I have DirecTv and as long as DirecTv is the only Television home for those packages, I am not going anywhere.

7. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    If I make the switch I can watch the NFL over the internet for FREE.

8. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Best of luck to you.............. :)

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Keep in mind the HD TiVo will come with it's own $13 a month (or so) subscription, won't it?

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Cable and FIOS have MLB extra innings also

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Being a telephone employee, and a long ago cable abused subscriber. My main reason for sticking with the satellite products is the control of service. As long as I can maintain my equipment and they can feed that bird in the sky we have no issues. I cannot go cheap on the prospect that a car hits a pole or a neighbor digs a tree and then I miss a program.

I am spoiled now and I admit it.

12. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    What are "all the problems" lately that you're referring to?

You could always connect your OTA antenna to another input on your TV... Not quite as streamlined as having it integrated into your DVR, but at least you would still be able to keep your local channels...

I've heard nothing but good things about the PQ with FIOS... And I'm pretty sure the channel lineup between FIOS and DirecTV are pretty close... so if it meets your needs/budget better, it may be worth looking into...

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do! :)

13. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Yes, however a have had a couple TIVO's in the past with lifetime service & I think I can get them to give me a deal on lifetime service for the new TIVO.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't think you'll be able to, but it's worth a try I guess.

Are any of your current DVR's in the same room? Keep in mind that FIOS only has 1 set of IR codes, so you can't have more than one DVR in the same room (and control them individually).

Even with their triple play, FIOS would cost me a lot more per month (although I do have FIOS internet).

15. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Thanks I was living in the mountains in Oregon when we bought a 50" Mitsubishi HD TV, we did not get one with a built in tuner because we could not get OTA there, saved a few bucks. I'm referring to the BRRIP NOISE as the latest problem, also sound out of sync, missed recordings.

16. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    They E-mail me all the time offering me deals. I have two DVR's in the TV room, but I would need the TIVO in there for that TV + 1 FIOS DVR

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    FIOS may have smaller harddrives, but their selection of OnDemand programming is much larger. You may find many of the program you normally save to your HD with DirecTV available OnDemand from FIOS.

18. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ditto. Emails, phone calls and door to door visits. As 1 of only a couple people in my neighborhood that aren't on FIOS (my neighborhood was one of the first in the country to get FIOS ), they're constantly trying to convince me.

19. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Yeah same here, but I was refering to TIVO e-mailing me about their deals. Why haven't you made the switch, & what do your neighbors think of FIOS?

20. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Several reasons I haven't made the switch:

1. No discreet IR codes (I have multiple DVR's in rooms)
    2. Can't expand the Hard Drive (I have 1TB in one of my DVR's)
    3. More expensive (especially if I added Tivo's)
    4. DVR's are still pretty buggy (I've had no problems with my D*DVR's), but they are getting better.
    5. FIOS is catching up (has caught up in some markets), but for the last 18 months, D* has had a lot more HD.
    6. Since I travel a lot, I like being able to schedule recordings via the net or my phone.
    7. Haven't found a reason why I'd want to switch. FIOS PQ was better 18 months or so ago, but since D* moved to mostly MPEG4, I can't tell the difference between the two.

Most of the neighbors are happy with it, but they're not power TV/DVR users like I am. For some people FIOS will be better (and cheaper), but for me it's not.