1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of moving from E*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Thalador, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thalador

Thalador Cool Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Greetings all. I am currently an E* customer and am thinking of jumping to the dark side :)

My question is this. I currently have the E* everything+HD+locals for programming. A bit pricey but oh well.. I have 4 TV's hooked up to this via 2 DVR's, 1 HD 1 SD.. I went to D* site to price something out and it doesnt look like their equipment does multiroom so:

What would be the most cost effective way to hook up 3 rooms, all with DVR's (1HD).

Is buying a Tivo a better option?

I had read somewhere that D* will "buy you out" of an E* contract. Is this the case?

I am new to this, so please be kind.

Thanks alot!

2. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Welcome!

You could hook up two d* dvr's to four tv's but you would have to watch the same thing on the two you have tied together.

Tivo will not work with D* anymore unless you have the old Tivo box that D* offered. U miss ALOT of HD content with that.
    Id call and see what kind of deal they will give you onon One HR-20 plus whatever SD DVR's you need or if you can do without dvr's try the H-20

3. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    You and me both brotha! I'm in the middle of switching as we speak, the boys over here are very helpful and quick to point out what to look for, in my experience with D* so far, make sure you plead your case when calling, they will give more discounts and options if you keep them interested in your choice to switch, whcih I thought was pretty classy, they seemed to want to do whatever to get you to Direct, I had my mind made up the other day and called again to D* and was questioning the upfront fees, and they gave me more credit to suit my needs, very good customer service so far:)

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    He's right. I would avoid the TiVo at this point, you're missing out on a lot. I would start by calling 1-800-DIRECTV and asking. Also ask local resellers what they can do for you. Getting the best deal with DIRECTV often takes patience.

5. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Well first you are currently on the Darkside.

Second, what is there to think about.

6. Thalador

Thalador Cool Member

Nov 27, 2006
    When I went to the website to do a compu-quote it showed one time costs of almost $400.. I know I can get that down if I call, but thats a concern. Also the last 6 months of an 18 month E* contract is a concern

7. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I have no experience with switching - at least satellite TV. Computing is a different story.

But, I support calling the CSR's till you get as good as you can get. No reason at all for list price.

And welcome aboard. At least this far. :)

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.