1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of returning to D

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by psternklar, Aug 11, 2010.

1. psternklar

psternklar Mentor

May 2, 2007
    Hi,

I left D about 2 years ago due to CS issues and audio dropouts using HR21. I am with E and am generally happy but want 2 hd outputs per box not one. I am thinking about returning to D with HR24. Has D fixed the audio dropouts? When watching 24 on Fox HD the dropouts made it impossible to watch. Thanks.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    There are still audio issues with Dolby Digital audio. The severity of the issue depends a lot on the audio receiver you are using, from what I've seen Onkyo's seem to take the longest to recover from whatever error is in the stream causing the drops.

As for your 2 HD outputs, DirecTV doesn't have that. What they do have is Whole Home DVR, where using the coax that connects the receivers to the dish are used for networking HD DVR's and HD receivers so they can view content between boxes. There is a $3/month charge for Whole Home DVR service.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sadly there are still some issues with audio drops but in many cases things have improved.

4. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    The 2 HD outputs could be HDMI and Component. But if you are wanting 2 HD tuners on separate outputs then that requires 2 HD boxes.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    All my boxes have HDMI and Component.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    OK, since the OP is a Dish customer and their STB's have two independent outputs, but only one is HD I took that to mean that he wanted the same thing but two independent HD outputs. If all he wanted was to use a HDMI and component from the same box the Dish boxes can also do that. But you are correct, DirecTV boxes have HDMI and component outputs and both are active at the same time.

7. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Seriously, if audio dropouts piss you off, I would not come back and present - especially if you use an AVR.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    On the other hand, I never have audio dropouts using either my Sony AVR or my Pioneer AVR.

9. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    My Yamaha is very minimal.

10. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I haven't experienced any audio dropouts in a long time.
    In the living room have Sony AVR, bedroom sound bar.

11. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    To the OP:

Do you use an AVR and if so which?

12. Bellman

Bellman Cool Member

Feb 8, 2007
    I can't recall any audio dropouts with my HR22-100 and Denon receiver.

13. psternklar

psternklar Mentor

May 2, 2007
    Thanks all for the replies. Yes use an Onkyo AVR, perhaps I should wait for a fix before coming back.

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I would.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    FYI, you can circumvent the problem by turning off Dolby Digital in the DirecTV receiver.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It should be noted that the audio drops are only with Dolby Digital on, and they affect some markets more than others. If that's what's holding you back, perhaps you could simply switch Dolby Digital off if they get to be too much.

17. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I have an Onkyo 806 and I do experience the drops. I live with it knowing it is being looked at as an open issue. You can wait, come back now and live with it or come back know and bypass the AVR for now or run it with DD off.

18. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007

This isn't quite true. Many of us have audio dropouts with DD on or off. Many of us also have audio dropouts with a sound system or through just the tv speakers.

19. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    Directv Told me they're currently working on the issue.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Stuart, I don't follow the remark about "affects some markets more than others?"

Many of the affected channels are national networks....I understand that there are probably lots of lil HD's that are affected as well.