Thinking of switching from Dish Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by LJR, Sep 12, 2020.

1. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    I need to know how many shows you can record at the same time. It says up to five, but what if three TVs are on? If those three tuners are being used, can you still record five shows?
    Thanks for any help.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm lost... what the topic said?

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Correct. The live TVs playing would use a tuner each and be deducted from the number of recordings in addition to the live TVs that could be recorded.
    On an HR44, HR54 that would leave 2 tuners for recording.
    On the new Genie 2 ( HS17 ) some say it has 7 tuners. If this is correcct then you would have 4 left to record with.

LJR likes this.
  4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have to have more tuners, get a 44 or 54 and they will work with the HR24 which have 2 tuners each. The cost per month is no more than the way you lined it out originally but the installation cost would be about 300 higher for the other 3 DVRs.

LJR likes this.
  5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Reread the question it is about DISH.

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    No, it's about switching from Dish to Directv and how Directv recording works.

Rich and LJR like this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why do you want to switch?

Rich

dtv757 likes this.
  8. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    LOL. Rich, I was thinking the same thing.

9. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Programming wise there is a multitude of reasons one might switch from Dish to DirecTV. Less local channel blackouts, has HBO/Cinemax, has RSNs that Dish has either dropped (Fox Sports, Altitude, NBC Sports Chicago) or decided not to carry (Spectrum SportsNet LA, Marquee Sports Network), etc.

HGuardian, LJR, dtv757 and 3 others like this.
  10. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    I’ve been thinking about it since they dropped HBO and Cinemax, but it really pissed me off when they dropped NFL Network. Thankfully, NFL Net is back.
    There are two main reasons why I won’t switch... one, you can only record up to 5 shows at once on DTV, compared to Dish’s 16.
    And two,, I have over 250 movies on two backup HDs that I couldn’t watch with DTV.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I would like to get my hands (and tools) on a Hopper. I don't know what I'd do with 16 tuners at this point, but that interests me.

Rich

12. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    It also uses just one tuner to record all primetime channels (ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS) from 8pm-11pm automatically.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Most important question I can ask: How big is the drive in the Hopper, assuming it's an HDD? Gotta be at least 2TBs which, I would think, is too small to support 16 tuners. I know from experience 2TB drives are too small for a Genie, with 5 tuners. If you record just about everything you're interested in. As I used to do.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There was a point in my life where that would have been used every night of the week. That is a wonderful option to have.

Rich

LJR likes this.
  15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unfortunately the 16 tuners wouldn't do you much good unless you paid for DISH service. :)

There are a few technologies that I wish DIRECTV and DISH shared. DISH's closest step toward SWM is the Hopper 3 and Hybrid LNB. They finally have a way to feed 16 random transponders over the same cable (possibly 24, but the Hopper 3 tunes 16) and they use it to feed one receiver. (There is an MDU setup where DISH will feed 8 smaller "Wally" receivers - originally single tuner but now supported as dual tuner receivers - one record, one live IIRC.) Not doing something like SWM earlier is one of the technological failings of DISH, in my opinion.

But having a receiver that outputs 4K (no separate client required) plus uses 4K to add features such as the sports bar mode (put four HD channels on the screen within a 4K picture) and having, as you noted, 16 tuners on one receiver is certainly good.

The hard drive is not huge ... multiple tuners help with "conflict free" recording. Just set a timer and it records whether or not you are watching something else live or recording other content. Sure, someone is going to exceed the limit - but with 16 tuners it will be much more rare than on systems with less tuners. The good news on hard drives is that when the space fills just add an external drive for additional space. Note the word "add" not "substitute". And the externals are tied to the account not the machine so if you replace the Hopper 3 the external content still works on the new box (or if you upgrade from another Hopper or most older DVRs).

Rich and LJR like this.
  16. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    It’s 2TB, but it has two usb ports to plug in backup HDs. So the size is almost limitless. I have a 500GB and a 2TB backup HD with almost 300 movies.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds wonderful. I wish I had a use for such a DVR.

Rich

LJR likes this.
  18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    But there is a problem there. While yeh it is awesome the H3 can output 4KHDR. The 4K Joey can’t output HDR. Where as with directv the clients do both

MysteryMan likes this.
  19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So with just a Hopper 3 you get 4K HDR ... with just a HR54 you get HD (no 4K).
    With a Hopper 3 + 4K Joey you get 4K HDR on one set and 4K on the other (actually others since one can have multiple 4K Joeys all putting out 4K simultaneously).
    With a HR54 you can have 4K HDR on one client and no 4K at all on any other client or receiver.
    With a HS17 you can have two 4K HDR on clients and that maxes out the system. No additional tuners or 4K feeds at all.

I wish the Joeys did 4K HDR ... but with a HR54 DIRECTV subscribers are still limited to one 4K HDR output at a time. On a client with no PIP or custom multiscreen.

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The HS17 does not max out with just two 4K feeds. I have no issues with my 6 clients. 2 watching channel 104 and the other 4 watching TV