1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of Switching to Dish...Which Package?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by chris83, Mar 3, 2009.

1. chris83

chris83 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Hello,

I'm considering switching to Dish from DirecTV and I'm not sure exactly which package and options I should choose.

I currently have the "Grandfathered" Total Choice Plus package with the HD package (not the HD Extra pack, which has Smithsonian, HDNet movies and so on). I have a HD receiver and a SD receiver.

I'd like to get a HD DVR for my main TV and a HD receiver for the secondary set. Any suggestions on which Dish package I should select that most closely mirrors my current DTV lineup, along with wanting the HD package and a HD DVR/HD Receiver setup?

Thank you!

2. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    As somebody who's also looking at making the switch, about all I can say is "good luck". I've got the Total Choice package, and the only the Gold Dish package will keep me from losing a couple of channels I'd rather not lose. And that package would wipe out the cost savings I'm looking for. I'm not looking for any premium channels. The sat companies are pretty good at leaving out a few basic channels from each package until you move up to the top tier.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Classic Gold with Gold HD is the closest to Choice Xtra.

4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Some food for thought - you DO know that on D*, you could have also have a 2nd HD DVR on that 2nd TV, for NO extra monthly cost, since D* only charges the DVR fee once per account.

Have you thought about calling D* & asking how much it would cost to just upgrade you to HD? Most of the time, you should be able to get 1 HD DVR upgrade at NO charge. If nothing else, they might actually give you an HD (non-DVR) receiver for free as well. If you tell them you're think of switching, they'll probably work with you to keep your business - & you can STILL keep your TC+ grandfathered pkg to boot! (I have) Keep in mind that right now, you are paying $3 LESS per month, for the very SAME prog that new subs are paying on the Choice+ pkg that replaced it, so you should really consider that as well.

5. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    chris83,

The classic gold looks like your best option. I had the same package as you with D* and ended up getting the Classic Silver with Turbo Silver HD. We did not lose any channels that we do watch. Dish also offers better movie channels, or more of them rather. What I ended up doing is calling Dish and asking what package would best match what I currently have. The VIP 722 is a very nice DVR once you become accustom to the menu setup as it is not quite the same as D*

6. NCLou

NCLou AllStar

Nov 14, 2003
    I was thinking about making the switch too. I waited and waited for DTV to add all these great HD channels without realizing I don't watch any of them. That's not their fault, but it turns out I watch the networks, ESPN, some news, and movies on HBO/Showtime. With one HD dvr and one SD dvr, it was running me about $100/mo. Which was getting hard for me to justify.

So I already dropped HBO and Showtime (maybe go Netflix for $10/mo), but I'm still paying $72 + $5 for a 2nd receiver. Even dropping down to Family Pack with them is going to cost me about $50. I even thought about dropping HD, but I have to carry it as long as I have a HR20 (so I can't just use it for the HD locals). So $30 Family pack + $10 HD + $10 DVR is still $50, and the family pack is pretty poor.

If I'm looking at this right, I could get Dish Turbo HD Silver for $40 + $6 for DVR fee, and get a single receiver to run my HDTV and the kids SD tv. I could probably live with the Turbo HD Bronze, but the family would probably use the additional Disney and Animal Planet enough to justify it.

I know a lot of it comes down to what channels an idividual needs, but that is a huge difference for me. Another way to think of it is that if you want to DVR ESPN in HD with Directv, I can't pay less than $77. I could do HD Turbo Bronze + DVR for less $37.

Are there extra fees or something I'm missing? I've compared the two plenty of times in the past, but it always seemed like once you added everything you needed or wanted, the price ended up being close to the same one way or another. This is the first time it has seemed significant, although that could partially be with me deciding I could live with less.

7. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Turbo Bronze DVR Advantage Package (Torbo Bronze + locals + DVR fee) is $40. Silver would be $10 more.

8. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    NClou,

You do not need to keep the HD pack if you have a HR20 receiver. They have dropped that requirement, since they are going to the all HD receiver models.

Thought may want to drop it and save the $ 10 if you want to.