Thinking of Switching

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by compnurd, Jan 20, 2019.

1. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    So not going to get into the whole PQ Thing.. Plenty of threads on that.. But more install related question.. I like to have the latest and greatest.. Are they still using Joey 2's with new installs or are they all 3's?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are you thinking Hopper 2 (Hopper w/Sling) vs Hopper 3?

The equipment you receive depends on the number of TVs you want to connect and your credit rating. A quick check of DISH's website shows a new customer with a single TV with excellent credit being offered the Hopper Duo (a two tuner receiver ... not one I would accept). A new customer with three TVs and excellent credit is offered a Hopper 3 (16 tuners) and two Joeys (can both be Joey 4Ks, if desired). The Hopper 3 has a 4K output.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Hopper 3 with 5 TVs and yes excellent credit One Joey will be 4K. I just want the other 4 to be Joey 3’s. Directv as you know as a bad habit of installing 5 year old product when newer is available

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    So two more questions here since the wife is actually asking questions now

How does Auto Hop work? She liked Skip Mode on Tivo

Second. I am in zip 16033. Any idea which LNB I would get. I would like to pre wire the cables to the dish

5. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Type saving AutoHop link: How to Skip TV Commercials with AutoHop - THE DIG

The Pittsburgh locals are on the eastern sats in HD, western arc in SD. The wiring for either LNB is the same.

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ok thanks. Any idea how many cables? Seems to vary either 2-3

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    if you're getting a Hopper, likely ONE cable from the dish, then there will probably be one cable to each Joey.
    LNB => Hub => Hopper
    ..............|=> splitter for Joeys => each Joey gets a cable
    For cable count - everywhere you see "=>" add one. Some of them will be pretty short.

You also need either WiFi or ethernet connection to your internet router.

If you want OTA antenna as well, add a cable from that antenna to the Hopper (this CANNOT be a shared cable like previous generations). If reception is good enough, even rabbit ears will work. OTA requires an extra cost USB attached dongle - there are 2 models - single and dual tuner.

AutoHop - You need to have Prime Time Anytime on for at least 1 day / week. After the contracted number of days (each network is likely different), when you go play the recording, a box will come up asking if you want to use AutoHop. Click on Yes and it starts and commercial skips, running a second long and starting a second early on the commercials.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Thanks Yes it will be a Hopper 3.. All cables are Home Run To my basement. So from what I have read it would be One Cable from Dish to Splitter in Basement, Then one cable to Hopper 3 off the Splitter and then the 5 Joey's split off that Splitter. Hopper 3 location has a network switch there for connection.

On The Auto Hop, If I say have the Primetime Enabled for CBS and Big Bang, does the AutoHop hold for awhile or does it expire?

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    There is a hub that gets the LNB output, that has 1 port for the Hopper and 1 port for the clients, THEN you put the splitter for the Joeys on the client port

Other than the split for the Joeys - NEVER use a splitter on a Dish system satellite side. DISH uses SWITCHES and not ordinary splitters. In my diagram, the Hub and Splitter are two separate pieces of equipment.

PrimeTime can't be set for a single show - you can set what evenings and networks, and it will collect the skip times for everything. After the skip times are collected, they can be used "forever".

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Autohop lasts "forever". The issue is how early it is available. On some channels it is available next day ... on others it is available after seven days. (DISH used AutoHop availablility as part of their negotiations a few years ago.) Once the required number of days pass the hop is available until the program is deleted.

For the Hopper 3 I'd enable "Prime Time Any Time" for all channels and all days and keep the maximum 8 days. You have the recording space. I have the maximum settings on my Hopper. There have been a few times where I was glad that I recorded a show via "PTAT" I do not normally watch.

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ok Cool This helps alot Thanks

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Auto hop is different from TiVo’s Skip.
    It only works on at most the four major broadcast channels and it takes a day at minimum to kick in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh and that is ok 99% of what we would skip would be on broadcast and it would be at least a day before we watched it

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Another Question.. Would probably go with AT200 or 250 Which looks like it includes NFL/NHL and MLB Network.. Am I correct then that adding the sports pack would only really give me out of market RSN's/Redzone and Strike zone?

Anyone have any thoughts either on the current promos? Looks like the 2 year price lock, 75 bucks in Ebates and 200 dollars in Ticketmaster cash.. Not sure if anyone thinks there is better to be had by waiting

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  15. l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie Cool Member

May 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh HD locals are, oddly, duplicated on both the Eastern and Western arcs. I have never checked to see if that is true for the SD locals, as I get both HD and SD ones from the Western arc at my location in Pittsburgh. Hope that helps.

16. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Yep, I stand corrected. I somehow missed the HD locals on the western arc when I checked the list.

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    On the prime Time. Does it group those recordings differently or record twice if your series recordings are on those channels

So if I record say the series for Big Bang and have prime time turned on. Does the auto hop feature also get enabled for my Big Bang recordings folder?

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Let's say you have a timer set for "BBT" Thursday night, at its regular time.
    And you also have PTAT turned on , recording at least CBS, on Thursday night.

What it will do is do 2 copies of the recording. However, the one for the "solo" timer is actually recorded from the PTAT recording, while the PTAT one shows up for that show.
    After your max time for keeping PTAT recordings (usually 8 days), the recording should disappear from the PTAT folder. But the solo timer one will stay until you delete it, or it reaches the max recordings you have set in your timer.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ok thanks. Sorry for the stupid questions but with the 2 year contract not a lot of options to test crap out

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The recording will show up twice on the receiver (once in the PTAT folder and once in the main recordings folder) but it does not consume any additional hard drive space. At the end of the automatic retention period (8 days if not set shorter) the recording will disappear from the PTAT folder and remain in the main recording folder. It is at that point when the recording is trimmed to be just the selected program and not the entire prime time for that channel.

If one has PTAT off for a particular night only a normal recording is made. Also shows that will also record via PTAT will show up in the schedule list as "to be recorded with PrimeTime Anytime". One can select the event and manually record the program separately from PTAT. (The wording has changed on the screens. At one point the program would be labeled as "skipped" because it was part of PTAT but the program would still record and be stored as described above.)

Not asking questions before making a commitment is the real stupid. :)

Setting timers for PTAT programs makes them easier to find (they are in the main folder with non-PTAT content). But it isn't hard to select the PTAT folder and find shows. The folder can be sorted by name or record date and can be divided into folders for each station. If one finds a program the PTAT folder that they want to save, select the show and choose Save (for the episode) or Save Series (which will create a timer). If one sets Save Series episodes will be moved to the main folder and future airings will record. (It will set a timer for "New and Reruns" in my experience - so if one only wants new episodes the timer should be edited or created from a New episode in the program guide.)

While I'm rambling I will say that I enjoy the trash can. I have accidentally deleted shows and series that I did not intend to delete. Trash allowed be to get those programs back.