thinking of upgrading to an SSD and an external SSD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by krel, Jun 3, 2020.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i am thinking of getting an SSD for my main drive for my genie alot on here seem like they love em..
    if i go through with this when i start up the DVR will the OS auto download or will i have to download it to a thumb drive from my pc and install it that way???

questions on adding an external SSD drive. if i transfer programs over to that drive can i keep them if my box fails or will the drive reformat all over again???

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are many threads here about installing an SSD (internally or externally). Regardless, it should be almost plug and play - the system will format the drive properly and you will start fresh. Do a search on SSD and you should find more than you want to know.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You should find the answers to just about everything you need on this thread: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?

Rich

krel likes this.
  4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    ESTATA Encloser and SSD --USB WILL NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AN OPTION ---and NO way to transfer or save recording

krel likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You cannot transfer that content to another drive (well, you might be able to but it will be a royal PITA). You will lose the programs on the old drive. They will show up on the Playlist but you won't be able to open them. You can find most content online if you search.

Rich

krel likes this.