Thinking of upgrading to Hopper 3 - Internet connection question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by hokie-dk, Sep 25, 2020.

1. hokie-dk

hokie-dk AllStar

Feb 4, 2006
    Current setup:

VIP622 --> TV-1 (4K) with both tuners connected single mode for PIP capability
    VIP722 --> TV-2 (4K) and TV-3 (non-4K)

Proposed setup:

Hopper 3 -- TV-1 (4K)
    4K Joey --> TV-2 (4K)
    Wireless Joey --> TV-3 (non-4K)

I have cellular Internet service (AT&T) with no other viable option at the present time. Therefore my broadband usage is limited to <100G per month. I can watch Netflix or Prime a few hours a day within that limit using the apps built into TV-1 and TV-2.

If I connect the Hopper to my router, how much bandwidth is it going to consume (at least two TVs on pretty much all day long) or can I continue to just connect with a phone line?

What functionality do I lose with just a phone line?

Do I have to connect the Hopper to the Internet to view 4K content or to view content through the included apps?

Thanks!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's some basic "phoning home" that happens but that happens on Internet connected ViP receivers as well. Using a phone line would force the phoning home use the POTS network (assuming that you have a suitable land line).

If you don't have real broadband capacity, don't connect the Hopper to your LAN. Further, if you don't have real broadband with a 500GB limit or higher, you probably shouldn't concern yourself with 4K -- at 10-25GB per hour per viewing session, it is voracious.

Of all of the apps, I would imagine maybe the Weather App could survive without a broadband connection. Slinging through DISH Anywhere obviously requires a broadband connection as do some of the newer channels like Netflix and YouTube that are simply gateways to their respective Internet servers.

DISH's satellite-delivered UHD offering is weak.

3. hokie-dk

hokie-dk AllStar

Feb 4, 2006
    Yeah, my ViPs are connected via POTS line now - no internet connection for them. I'm not sure it's even worth the effort to upgrade to the Hopper. The main reason to upgrade is to get a better picture on TV-3, which has the SD connection coming off of the 722.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I hear you.

Consider that you may be able to get away with a Fire Stick for the third TV if it isn't used heavily (or the user is patient). Streaming within your house doesn't gobble Internet bandwidth (but it does require a little bit to get things going). The big advantage of the Fire Stick is that it incurs no monthly fees. The big drawback is probably the remote.

5. hokie-dk

hokie-dk AllStar

Feb 4, 2006
    Haha! Patience is not an attribute of the main user. The TV is heavily used, and by someone that doesn't play well with technology. I don't think Fire Stick is in the cards, but thanks for the suggestion.