Thinking Outside the Cable Box: How More Competition Gets You a Better Deal

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by James Long, Apr 16, 2016.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Thinking Outside the Cable Box: How More Competition Gets You a Better Deal

Today, building on efforts over the last seven years, the President is launching a new initiative to stoke competition across our economy, so that no corporation can unfairly squeeze their competitors, their workers, or their customers at everyone’s expense. Stronger competition matters because it can deliver lower prices, higher quality, and better customer service for consumers. It gives workers more of a voice and can help strengthen wage growth. And it’s what entrepreneurs need to get a fair shot at growing their businesses and creating jobs.
    . . .

How We're Taking Action To Fix It
    That’s why today the President announced that his Administration is calling on the FCC to open up set-top cable boxes to competition. This will allow for companies to create new, innovative, higher-quality, lower-cost products. Instead of spending nearly $1,000 over four years to lease a set of behind-the-times boxes, American families will have options to own a device for much less money that will integrate everything they want — including their cable or satellite content, as well as online streaming apps — in one, easier-to-use gadget.

Complete Press Release from the White House
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/04/15/ending-rotary-rental-phones-thinking-outside-cable-box

Executive Order
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/04/15/executive-order-steps-increase-competition-and-better-inform-consumers

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    NY Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/us/politics/obama-set-top-boxes.html?_r=0

“The cable or satellite box is just one example of an area where, because it’s been tied to the provider and you rent it, and consumers spend billions of dollars on it every single year, there hasn’t been much innovation,” Mr. Obama said, adding that the private sector becomes less effective “if we get closed systems or if people are gaming the system.”
    . . .

Cable industry leaders lashed out at Mr. Obama, arguing that he was rewarding political friends and benefactors like those at Google, and undermining the independence of the F.C.C.

3. zeekle

zeekle Mentor

Jun 18, 2005
    Obama has nailed this one for sure. The substandard comcast X1 "system" has kept me from even considering moving to cable for my pay TV fix.

I have stuck with Dish mostly because their boxes have seemed to me to be better than anything else on the market.

question will be will I be able to buy a box that will work on comcast/dish/direct tv/google fiber or will I have to buy a box that is only for one.. time will tell I guess.

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    What about the ISP's that force you to rent there gateway / modem / ont / etc? that needs to end as well or at very least must be part of the base rate!

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    well Joe - I don't have that problem with Time Warner in NC - They even have a list of compatible modems that you can go BUY (gasp) and save paying them a modem rental fee. Of course - you're then responsible for any problem it develops - you can't just go to the TWC office and swap if your modem develops a problem.

yes - I like Dish receivers - they pretty much use a standard interface (at least within a generation). But I can see the point to the "universal receiver / DVR " that Obama's talking about as well.