1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is a greeeeeeeeeeeeeat day!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Cable Rules, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cable Rules

Cable Rules Guest

I just got digital cable and a fantastic cable modem set up. I have tons of HD channels now whereas on Dish it is non existant. Everything comes from the same trusty cord already built in to my house and I don't need a phone line now or some crappy extra dish. In fact, I ripped my dish down and chucked it like a frisbee in to the street! Oh what joy, no rain fade anymore when something good is on. To hell with all the extra installing and wiring and buying 4 extra receivers. Dish doesn't seem to understand I have 5 TVs, not 1, and they all now get the same great programming. I even have HD locals! Thanks Comcast and no thanks to Dish.

Your friend,
    New Cable Subscriber

2. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    hehe,

some "Pig Feedin'", i see :D

3. junki

junki Godfather

Feb 19, 2004
    I am so sorry for your loss. I will morn for you, and pray for your recovery.

4. xgrep

xgrep Godfather

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, I switched from E* to Comcast a while ago for pretty much the same reasons, but I didn't rip down my dishes. While Comcast is a significantly better deal for me than E* at the moment, cable companies are notorious for thinking that they're monopolies and raising rates whenever it suits them. Don't count on Comcast being the better deal forever. It's true they will have an edge on HD content for some time, but I don't think I'd like to have to reinstall satellite gear later if/when they become uncompetitive (which they sooner or later will). I like to keep my options open, so that no provider has my cojones in their clutches.

It's really interesting how much emotion goes into this stuff.

x

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Congratulations...enjoy your receiver rental fees, crappy non-HD digital cable picture, and crappy HD picture, and never ending hassles with the cable company.

Of course, if you're happy with it, good for you. I wouldn't be where I am.

6. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    WHATEVER

You truly do not have digital cable on all 5 tv's because you need a digital cable converter box which most cable companies charge a rental fee for each one. You may have a regular cable set up to your 5 cable ready tv's but you are not receiving the tierd digital packages from comcast. Only way to get all those hbo's and cinemaxs or channels like d-wings or lifetime movie network is to get a digital cable box on each tv you want hooked up. That is a reason I left comcast then AT&T. We had the full dgital pacakge in the living room and was pist because we needed a digtal cable box. The the kids wanted digital cable in thier room then the waife wanted it in the excerise room after all was said and done my digital cable bill became superinflated. So i switched to satellite and have never been happier. I get the east and west coast network feeds and the superstations something I could never get from comcast. I am happy that you are happy about your switch to comcast but please dont spread untruths about the digital cable and the need for digital cable boxes.

7. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004

Sounds to me like another Comcrap lackey, err.. employee. When Dish compresses channels, its to give us more programming. When Comcrap compresses channels, its to give moronic script kiddies more bandwidth to hack systems. No thanks!!!

8. awax

awax Legend

May 9, 2003
    Bye troll. I might actually have considered what you said true if you were registered.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Please don't feed the trolls. Anyone that refers to RG6 or RG59 as "cord" around here is obviously without a clue.

10. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    You mean our friend the "Comcast Cable Installer."

He must of been looking for CABLETalk.com you know the site where people talk all day about how great CableTV is. Oh wait, there is no such site.

11. Five Hole

Five Hole Legend

Jun 23, 2002
    All for $20 more a month. Boy you really showed us. I guess I will have to settle with Dish then. :rolleyes:

12. Frank Z

Frank Z Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    I wonder if he/she will report back with the same amount of enthuasiasm when his cable goes out on a Saturaday morining and he can't get anyone to fix it till Monday between 12pm and 6 pm, or if his/her rates get raised 2-3 times in 1 year.

PT Barnum was right.

13. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    This dude is either missing a few screws or we just did a fast forward to April 1st. While Dish may not be perfect, they've got Comcast beat hands down!!

14. newsub

newsub Legend

Aug 5, 2003
    the sad thing is here comcast IS the better deal. I had hbo,showtime,encore,starz,2 digital boxes,the digitial premier package for $80/month. Now I am paying dish $80 for at 180,3 receivers and their DHP package. Plus I am paying comcast $15 for local channels whereas before the $80/month included basic and expanded basic cable.

Now for an extra $6/month I can get on-demand,45 music choice channels, ppv and their interactive guide, or for $9.95 extra a month I can get their digital classic package which includes all of the above and 20 digital channels, or for $15/month extra I can get their digital plus package which includes 20 more channels than their classic package does plus I get HBO and digital plus FREE for 2 months and no, this does not require me to pay them $43/month for their standard cable package and can be had with my $15 basic cable package.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Here, in the upstate of South Carolina, we have Charter Cable. They have a $12 rental fee on one box, and will not sell you analog alone, without you taking one box and the rental fee. For basic cable with locals, my neighbor pays $52 a month.

The OTA signal here is so good, I install a lot of Winegard Sensar GS200's on roofs and get a better picture than their digital.

My neighbor had his digital box hooked up through Channel 3 on his large projection TV. I switched it to RCA connectors for him. The picture was only a little bit better.

I've had Dish Network for five year now. I have AT50, now AT60 and pay yearly. He could not believe that I pay $33 (Tax included) for two receivers a month and get better service than he does.

In the past four years, I've had no more than 10-20 rain fade periods of no more than 15-20 minutes. I am a professional installer and have the best possible highest standard install with the best connectors. Never one problem, whatsoever. I've done over 500 installs. The only problems have been a few defective lnb's and receivers.

Done right, satellite has cable beat for less costs and reliability.

I installed a system for my elderly parents in South Georgia three years ago, done to the highest quality level. Again, absolutely no problems, whatsoever.

Before that, they had ATT cable. One day, while watching it, I saw a Dish Network Error screen. It was the lost signal screen. They received their Atlanta locals via Dish Network and retransmitted them. All of their programming comes via satellite ran thorugh miles of cable.

Thank God we have Charter Cable, here. It's the best seller for satellite.

16. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I take the long view on the people I do business with. While I'm not overjoyed at waiting several months to get a 921, I can live with that. In the years I've been with Dish, I've never had a problem that wasn't taken care of quickly. Service has been very reliable. I've got Comcast for cable modem service and I have issues with it all the time.

At one time, in a moment of weakness (when I was getting my cable modem), I had the gaul to ask the Comcast CSRs if I could get a price break by going with a bundle for TV and Internet service. You'd have thought I'd asked them to give up their only child!!

Gotta pass when it comes to Comcast.

17. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I was wondering why my computer kept saying it couldn't find the server! LMAO. I would go with Voom LONG before making a switch to any other company from Dish.

18. Erny

Erny Guest

Yes--Digital Cable rules and rocks and rolls. I have hd net, hd net movies, all locals, both inhd channels, bravo hd, hbo hd, sho hd, espn hd, discovery hd, and, just announced, starz hd. wooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!! I am happy hd camper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. rmr76

rmr76 Cool Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Yea, but for how much? I agree that some places cable can be better, but the whole 2.5 years I've been with Dish here in the DFW area, Comcast has always been about $20/month more for comparable service. Were you able to get some kind of new subcriber promo? Just curious, as none of the new deals here with Comcast have been worth dumping Dish for, and I even have Comcast's cable modem & phone services.

20. jpoklop

jpoklop AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    blah blah blah... my service is better than yours... you are an idiot for sticking with vendor X instead of switching to Y. whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.