This is unbelievable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kram, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Last month my HR24s were dropping their Internet connection after a software update and I was dealing with Case Management to get the issue resolved. For some reason, one particular rep sent me a refurbished HR24, which I didn't need (broadband DECA was installed instead). There wasn't any return label in the box, so I called and requested that one be sent to me. I was told that I'd get in in 3-5 days. That was two weeks ago. So yesterday I called again and, as is par for the course, they said they had no record of that request. Again, I asked for them to send me a label. But I was told they couldn't do that without also sending me a box to which the label was attached. I told them I didn't need a box, since the DVR was still in the box in which it was sent, and in it's original packaging. Sorry, I was told. They can't just send a label -- they also have to send the box. I told them what a waste of time and materials this was, but they said that this is just the way they did things. Mind you, all they really needed to do was stick a label in an envelope and send it to me. Or, better yet, send me an email that would enable me to print my own label -- like other retailers do (Amazon, in particular). But no-o-o-o-o-o. No can do. So now I either have to unpack the DVR and transfer it to the new box, or cut the label from the new box and attach it to the old one.

What a joke! Heaven help us all.... :bang

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The return labels are already put in boxes for return kits. There's nothing someone on the phone can do about what takes place in the warehouse.

What's the harm in getting a box? it costs you nothing...

2 people like this.
  3. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    And what about the paper it took to make the cardboard box that I really didn't need and now must recycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    All this emotion over a cardboard box?

2 people like this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    seems to me it become new trend last week :( - someone started a discussion - he got smaller box and scare to put own bubble wrap, here is new one - no a box ...
    soon someone will posting why in a box they didn't sent white gloves, because his STB so durty - eek !

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    [non mod comment]

A general trend of this poster is to not "go with the flow", but expect "the flow" to cater to him.

I seem to remember a service call where the tech showed up to fix a problem and was turned away because he didn't have notes from "a special" person.

Now it's over of all things "a cardboard box".

Will this have ANY affect on his bill? Nope.

One can always "vote" over how a company meets ones expectations, with the all mighty dollar.

2 people like this.
  7. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    You're missing the point. But it doesn't matter because all you want to do is bash me. And, funny thing, you all seem to be the same posters who have bashed me before. If you don't have anything constructive to say, perhaps it's best just not to say anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The issue is you seem to think what's happening to you happens a lot and it doesn't. I'll bet it doesn't happen hardly ever. Maybe one in a thousand? So why creat a logistics system for one rare customer. Amazon is totally different. DIRECTV is always sending boxes so people can return their hardware. Amazon you where likely shipped an item in any number sized boxes and still have it. Very few people would have ever even had the box their DIRECTV receiver came in and it would have been ages ago so they would likely have tossed it.

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Last time I checked, it's actually policy for installers to take the boxes and all other packaging materials with them and not leave anything behind besides the things connected to the TV (the receiver and the cables you used), the remote, the manual (if it came with one), and any legal inserts.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Which doesn't apply in this case as an installer wasn't involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. CuttySnark

CuttySnark Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Well technically D* policy in a situation like this would be to email hardware recovery directly with the relevant information and they would ship an airbill/return label only (at least it was a year ago.) However there is no confirmation number/way to track that it was done correctly systemically so most agents would order a recovery kit through D*'s ordering system as it could be looked up by any agent. When done that way it would send a box along with an airbill. With that said, OP do you want a tissue for your first world problem? maybe a cookie?

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Which is the entire point of why this is a special case.

You either get a recovery kit for things that are marked for recovery, or a recycling kit if you request it for everything else. It's extremely rare to expect people to have the original packaging. Even if you never opened the box and are returning it as you got it, they still need to open up the box and inspect it anyway when they get it back before they repack it and send it to another subscriber.

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    But it really isn't a special case. Simple swaps are most often done without a truck roll. And the recovery kit I got the last time I dealt with it wasn't any really well thought out box and packing. I didn't worry about it, used nothing more than they provide and trimmed here and there to make it all fit. I didn't give any thought to what their relatively poor packing method might cause.

And that would be the difference between me and the OP. He seemed concerned about the poor quality, I wasn't at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    This isn't a swap though, this is a case of returning an item without using it and wanting to send it back in the same box. Even if they didn't use it, they will still need to open it up to inspect it when they get it back to make sure they didn't get screwed over and get a box of weights or different equipment entirely. (They probably also have to replace the access card and re-enter it into their system, since receivers shipped from DirecTV are usually tied to your account so you can automatically activate it online) So they're not really "saving a tree" by insisting on sending it back in the same packaging.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I didn't see my post as "bashing", but simply pointing out that your view isn't consistent with the norm.

This might lead you to some sort of perception of being persecuted or "bashed", but in all honesty it merely comes down to being "out of step" with others here.

Your other issue seems to have been resolved [as was suggested] with a DECA/CCK.
    Was your interest getting it resolved or to having it done "your way"?
    The latter took longer than the first.

While it's your option to start this thread, is it really worth it over a cardboard box???

2 people like this.
  16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, Mod Hat ON.

Please discuss the issue and not each other. Discussing posting habits or trends does not speak to the topic at hand.

Mod hat off.

p.s. - not trying to start a mod battle here, just speaking from (I think) a neutral viewpoint.

Edit to add: If the topic wanders, I'm happy to lock it. I'm not sure why I don't right now, but I'm willing to give it a try.

1 person likes this.
  17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm with carl6 movement !

18. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, there have been two posts I've dumped that were not really on topic. So enough, thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.