1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This just in...is this fair?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Jazz308, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Jazz308

Jazz308 New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    East...
    Apparently Amazon is counting each separate episode of the TV shows offered through Prime as part of their library...

http://www.fastcompany.com/1830524/the-juiced-misleading-sizes-of-netflix-and-amazon-streaming-libraries

Is this fair, or misleading?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Welcome to the world of advertising.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah. This doesn't surprise me.

4. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Why wouldn't it be fair?

If a series has 100 episodes, that would be 100 items in the library. Some services like Hulu might only be able to offer 50 of those episodes for some reason.

1 person likes this.
  5. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Exactly what I was thinking. I also think the writer of the article was making a mountain out of a molehill. I mean, what's the big deal.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes it is fair, to me anyway. Maybe the library size police have different standards. :sure:

On the other hand Fast Company is another one of those publications owned by a Forbes listed billionaire, in this case Joseph D. Mansueto, founder and CEO of Morningstar, Inc. the investment research firm that has acquired dozens of other firms and publications. The article's writer Austin Carr is a Columbia journalism graduate who has worked for Fast Company for about four years - that's his experience. Carr apparently finds it appalling. I don't care what he thinks.

In this case size doesn't matter. If they have what you want to see, great! If they don't, somebody else does. And if you pay for Amazon Prime solely because of the size of their library in order to watch their streaming videos, your missing most of the benefits.

And since you've paid nothing for my opinion just like Carr's, you can rest assured both opinions are worth every penny! [​IMG]

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've got Amazon Prime primarily for the free 2-day shipping with no minimum order required. The Movie/TV service is just a bonus, IMHO. I don't really care how they count; it's more what they have that interests me.

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    My assessment exactly! In fact, I've been so pleased with the selection of Prime (free) movies, that we cancelled our long, long standing Netflix account. The combo of Prime with occasional Vudu takes care of things nicely and we saved a hundred or so a year, not even counting the saved (and faster) shipping or our orders.