"This location is not authorized"; "Playback failed"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Badlands, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    A few weeks ago, I started getting error messages when turning on my C31s. I would either get "This location is not authorized" or "Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server." When I would restart the box with the "playback failed" error, it would then go to the "not authorized" error. Rebooting the HR44 would always solve the issue, but it would often come back the next day.

Since I was eligible for a no charge upgrade, I had all my boxes switched out (the HR44 to an HS17 and the four C31s to C61Ks). After a day, the errors started to come back. After a few days, I've gotten the errors on every C61K, sometimes on all at the same time. Rebooting the Genie every day isn't an acceptable solution, especially since I sometimes have to either interrupt recordings or have no service for an hour or more.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it and/or a possible solution? I dread having to talk to customer service again since it took three technician visits and about three hours on the phone and chat just to get all 5 boxes installed.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    OK, so since your system is wired, there';s not much that is common to your boxes.
    First possibility, you have a faulty splitter. But start by making sure all the open ports on the splitter have proper terminators.
    Second possibility, electrical noise or faulty grounding on some other piece of equipment (not Directv). Anything with a motor (A/C, fridge etc). It does not take much to screw up the signals across your client-server network. Try putting your HS17 on a completely different power circuit.

Badlands and Rich like this.
  3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I had something similar happen to me a few months ago. I have no idea why re-running satellite setup on my HR24 fixed everything for me, but it did. (See my sig for equipment I have.) It could have been a co-incidence of some sort that worked out for me.

Re-running sat setup was easy, btw. Although I don't remember every screen or prompt, I just chose 'Next' or accepted the default entry for everything when I did it.

4. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Thanks for the info! When I was checking my splitters, I realized that two of my boxes are on RG59 coax (and have been for years). I wonder if that could be causing an issue.

5. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    I might give it a shot. It can't hurt!

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have a 24 and a 44 on RG59. My two runs are short (10' and 15'). No problems.

And since my house was built in 2000, three 24s are using internal wiring that I suspect is also RG59. Those are much longer. Probably 50-75' each.

Badlands likes this.
  7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only problem with RG59 is that it does not have the DC current capability, which can result in not enough power to the LNB if there is a long run. For connections that do not power an LNB (such as supporting a client), RG59 should be fine. However, connectors can be a problem, and you should check the connectors on both ends of any cable runs. Make sure they are solid, and that the center conductor is long enough coming out of the connector.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    RG59 isn't a problem for clients - the communication from Genie to client uses low frequencies that are basically equivalent to UHF and lower than most cable systems use. The RG59 could be defective or have crappy connectors (especially if they are those old hex type connectors) but the fact it is RG59 is not a problem at all for clients.

Badlands likes this.
  9. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Well, I re-ran the satellite setup and checked all the connections and splitters and I still get the error roughly every 24 hours. I've rebooted the HS17 before going to bed a few times and it either makes it all day or errors out a few hours short.

I do have the hex connectors on some of the RG59. The RG59 run is probably about 40 feet into a splitter and then 5 feet to one box and 50 feet into the other one.

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace those with compression connectors if you have the tools or know someone who does. While those hex crimp connectors CAN be as good as compression connectors, it takes a lot more skill to do them right. Compression connectors are practically foolproof, and there's much less cause to worry that the connector is an issue.

If you are seeing the error on all your clients then the problem is most likely in that 40 feet run. Though it is of course possible you have some sort of problem with your HS17, but that's not really possible to test other than by process of eliminating other potential causes.

Badlands likes this.