This one is new to me!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bud33, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bud33

Bud33 Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I have a R15-500 that was purchased in Dec. of 2005.
    Up to now, this unit has been virtually trouble free and although the following occurrence is not that bad it is a curiosity!!!!
    Twice this week, at around the same time of day, the unit shut down and restarted. There was no power interruption as nothing else in the house indicated such.
    The TV screen went black for a moment, then I got the welcome screen and then the accessing the satellites and then all was back to normal and it rejoined the program in progress. All this in less than 5 minutes.
    The guide has to re acquire info but the Play list was still in order and the to do list was up to date till the 20th.
    Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what is going on.

2. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    It's hard to tell, bud33. Maybe it's overheating for some reason?

3. wbmccarty

wbmccarty Icon

Apr 27, 2006
    Perhaps the unit is trying to update itself. For that matter, it may have succeeded.

Alternatively, I find grounds to believe that the R-15 is more sensitive to power anomalies than are other consumer electronics, data communications, and computer units. That said, putting my R-15 on a UPS did little to improve its reliability.

Cheers,

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The temperature may be infact a cause, I had a D*Tivo the kept rebooting. I found the cooling fan had failed. I know you have an R15, but hot is bad news for any kind of electronics. FWIW

5. wbmccarty

wbmccarty Icon

Apr 27, 2006
    It's a bit difficult to see how temperature would cause a reboot at the same time of day, unless that time of day closely corresponds with the hottest hour of the day (around 3 p.m. in my climate).

At what time of day have the events occurred?

Cheers,

6. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Spontaneous reboots have been reported by several people. Mine's done it a couple times. Maybe the time of day is just coincidence?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.