1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Time Next Year... Will You Watch Non-HD Channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by LarryFlowers, Dec 10, 2007.

This Time Next Year.. Will You Be Watching Channels That are SD?

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes

37.3%
  3. No, What's SD?

40.9%
  4. SD/HD Who Cares

21.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    We are less than 14 months from the end of Analog TV. We have just experienced the largest HD channel conversion ever.

If you are into HD you probably are already tending to watch programming in HD.

Programming that occurs on an SD channel like BBCA's Torchwood which repeats on HDNET in HD is already very popular.

So what do YOU think?

2. aramus8

aramus8 Godfather

Nov 20, 2006
    The wife and I love Torchwood on HDNet, but to say it is very popular just isn't true as HDNet doesn't have enough viewers to even be rated at this point. As for watching SD broadcasts, I don't do that now.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Heck, I barely watch any SD now.

That's right, I said heck.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If there is a channel that I watch that is only offered in SD than yes I will still be watching SD.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If there's something I want to watch and it's only on a SD channel then yep, I'll watch SD.

6. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    Same here.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    98% of everything we watch is in HD now. ;)

By the way, shut down of Analog TV has nothing to do with HD.

8. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Doggone it, I quit watchin' that lame stuff too! HD or NO SEE!

9. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Plus any show that is not in 16x9 I will still watch the SD version so I can stretch the picture to fill the screen.

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Comedy Central is my last SD channel.

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I know that the end of Analog has nothing to do with HD...

But broadcasting Digital SD is... I lack the words..:nono2:

12. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I will continue to watch SD channels as long as they have something worth watching.

One thing I feel I need to point out, yes the end of Analog TV is coming but that does not mean the end of SD channels. You can broadcast SD channels digitally just like you can broadcast HD channels. Many stations may take a budget-friendly approach and convert the broadcast towers first and then get the HD cameras at a later time.

SatCasters broadcast everything digitally anyways; the receiver converts the signal to analog (if you are using the coaxial cables) in the end users home. So DIRECTV and Dish subscribers will not have to purchase a new TV.

The big problem is that many local channels do not have a digital line to DIRECTV's broadcast center so we may be looking at some local channels going offline when the conversion takes place.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33691/98/

13. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I watch a handful of programs in SD every week (60 Minutes comes to mind). Suffering through an hour of SD makes HD seem even better, like the pain of a toothache going away...:eek:

14. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Well unfortunately every channel and every show is not HD so yes I will watch SD programming

15. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Na Na Nana, Hey Hey, Good Bye to fuzzy SD.

16. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I voted no, but there are still programs that I watch on a HD station but not broadcasted in HD(inside the nfl on HBO among others). For me to quit watching SD, I mainly need WGN, Comedy Central, ESPN News, Chiller, Disney, the premium channels that are SD, and local CW, and WB to broadcast in HD(they are not HD OTA). There's not much more I want in HD, hopefully by summer DirectTV will have all the channels including the locals provided by Sat.

17. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    I don't watch SD now why would I then?

Randy

18. simonkodousek

simonkodousek Godfather

Feb 19, 2007
    I don't watch any SD as it is, so no! :)

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Will I watch absolutely no SD? No. But I watch very little of it now and most of that is SD on HD channels. I am sure I'll be watching even less SD next year.

20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Until my 32" TV in the living room breaks down I will be watching 100% SD. Until my TV in the kitchen, den, and bedroom break down, I will be watching SOME SD programming.

Everyone cannot afford HDTV. In fact, I think all the smug HDTV afficionados on this system are going to get a BIG SURPRISE in 2009 when the "end of analog TV" date gets pushed back because not enough converters have been distributed to folks who can't afford them and/or the general public finally figures out that the over-the-air channels as they know them are going away. (Even with the government-sponsored $40 rebate on two converters per family)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.