1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on a change to Quick Tune

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sirshagg, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1 of 36
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    The new quicktune feature is neat but it got me thinking... why limit it to just changing channels?

What if we were able to put a quick link to any (ok, almost any since some might not make sense) menu item in each cell?
    A sample screen could like this this (Sorry my [strike]Photoshop[/strike] Gimp skills are not that great)

Something like this could be a way to bring easier access to menu options that individual users feel are too deep in the normal menu structure for everyday use.

[​IMG]

When selcted each of these options would behave exactly like they were selected from the menu itself.

When in a menu there would be some button (lets say green for now) which would bring up the Quick_____ menu where you could decide what cell to assign this function to.

Thoughts?

Note: DirecTV is already using this type of link thing here:
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 6, 2009 #2 of 36
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I think that would greatly complicate the programming for something that was meant to be a simple way to tune a select group of channels.

3. Jan 6, 2009 #3 of 36
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I could see this as a power user sort of thing, but I think it would confuse the average user.

4. Jan 6, 2009 #4 of 36
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I think the idea has some merit, although I agree with say-what in that it cannot become too complicated for everyday use. It could be a quick link to any feature you assign it to. It could surely save many steps.

5. Jan 6, 2009 #5 of 36
    mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I like the idea. Going with it, what if pressing menu twice brought up a "quick tune" chart of menu type of commands. This way you can keep the current quick tunes for channel tuning.

6. Jan 6, 2009 #6 of 36
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
  7. Jan 6, 2009 #7 of 36
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Good concept but I think as Mr. Sweet says it could confuse the average user. Remember we have to have these things dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

I would like this but know that it wouldn't be used often by some of my friends.

8. Jan 6, 2009 #8 of 36
    mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    True. Ideally it could be enabled in Miscellaneous Options: "Menu Quick Tune Enable".

9. Jan 6, 2009 #9 of 36
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    So by this rationality, all network functionality, manual recording capabilities and many of the 'unspeakable CE things' should all be eliminated as they are much too complex for the simplest of users.
    Most any user capable of grasping the "Quick Tune" concept in it's current form would be able to grasp a "Quick Link" concept.

10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    As for the ease of use aspect - I'm sure my mom would never be able to set it up (but then the current QuickTune is probably over her head too) but I know with certainty she would absolutely LOVE it if I set it up for her.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Definitely way too complicated for "QuickTune".

What if however something new was setup? Say for instance you hit the down arrow and a "shortcuts" menu pops up.

12. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006

That would work for me too.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think it's a great idea, but I don't see this as a replacement for Quicktune.

I see it as a user-configurable menu shortcut panel similar to Quicktune's. /steve

14. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I would certainly use it more than I currently use quicktune. While I like the feature, I just rarely use it.

15. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    Good idea. It's not too complicated. DVRs in general are complicated, however. TiVO is the only company that has (so far) managed to make a user-friendly DVR that still has the super-advanced features (IMO).

I use the QuickTune feature constantly. I'd use it more often if your concept were put into play.

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    We already have the request shown below on the current Wish List. It's essentially a clone of the same shortcut method that's been available on TiVo's since 1999.

"2-click" access to the following features: "Menu-1"=CC TOGGLE, "Menu-2"=TODO LIST, "Menu-3"=CYCLE FAVORITES, "Menu-4"=PRIORITIZER, "Menu-5"=HISTORY, "Menu-6"=MANUAL RECORD, "Menu-7"=TITLE SEARCH, "Menu-8"=KEYWORD SEARCH, "Menu-9"=SAVED SEARCHES and "Menu-0"=SETUP.

Per Sirshagg's idea, what if 9 of these functions were available on a "QUICKTUNE" type panel? We could probably do away with #1, since we can pretty easily get to CC's with the YELLOW button now.

Just a thought. /steve

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I never knew that was a link.

18. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Learn something new every day...

On a side note - wouldn't it be cool if all the actors / director were links to a search for that actor / director?

19. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    I think if this had any chance of being implemented it would be as a separate "down arrow" menu instead of modifying the QuickTune feature. It is an excellent idea. It's probably better that way anyway...the people that use Quicktune wouldn't have some of their 9 grid slots usurped by other functions. The people that think it's too hard to use don't have to!! Haha

I'll just mention here, since this thread is an offshoot to the wishlist thread where SirShagg came up with his idea....

When you hit the List button on the remote it should bring up four tabs. My Playlist, To Do List, Prioritizer, and Top Movies. You can switch tabs by hitting the green button. It's currently implemented like this with the To Do List and Prioritizer tabs missing. I think that's a great and intuitive way to get to these lists and should be relatively easy to implement programmatically. It also doesn't break any existing functionality. It's currently SIX button presses to get to the To Do List!

The 2-click menus that have been suggested are hard to remember and changes existing functionality because, currently, hitting a number while in the menu initiates a channel change.

20. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Try this on for size.
    I like the thought of having a Quick Tune type screen where you can put your favorite menu shortcuts. Since the UP arrow brings up Quick Tune, why not have the Down arrow bring up a Quick Menu?