1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thr22-100 software

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by tivoguy35, Feb 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tivoguy35

tivoguy35 Cool Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Will the Thr22-100 receive a software upgrade that will enable that receiver to offer those missing features that the HR24 currently offers. I hope so,as well as HDUI.

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    No, they won't get an HD GUI. They won't get Directv's, and the THR22 is based off the Series 3 Tivos, which don't have the HD GUI either. As far as MRV, there's no TECHNICAL reason it shouldn't work, I wouldn't think. Just not something they care to implement.

3. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Curious-what's the speed like on the THR22? Coming from the Tivo Premiere, the SD GUI was pretty fast, and they HAVE improved on the speed of the HD GUI (What little they have completed of it), but it's still slow.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    The recent Tivo Premiere update is pretty good. HD Guide and most screens are now HD. Still "classic" with setup screens, but we don't go there very often.

5. macq

macq AllStar

Feb 19, 2006
    The speed on the THR22 is very good. I don't notice any real speed difference between it and my S3 Tivo HD XL. The guide is quick to scroll and the menus are responsive.

Program control like FF, slow-mo, jump back are all very crisp, clear, and Tivo-like.

For those familiar with the HR24, the THR22 and it are similar speed-wise.

6. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    The only way we are going to get more features on the THR22 is having a lot of people contact directv. I spoke to a DTV cutomer advocate and he had no info on any upgrades but they will continue to listen to customer feedback.

7. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'd contact Tivo too.

8. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    Agree but the ultimate decision is made by DTV. I did talk to TiVo and they thanked me for my feedback but said there is little they can do.

9. Heynonny

Heynonny Mentor

Jul 11, 2009
    They could state publicly that DirecTV employees and their groupies are lying when they claim Tivo rather than DirecTV is withholding these features.

Kinda clear the air.

10. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    then again for all you can verify the reverse might actually be true.

11. Heynonny

Heynonny Mentor

Jul 11, 2009
    The CEO of DirecTivo said, very publicly, and there are numerous verifiable sources, that DirecTV set the specs for the DirecTivo THR22.

Now I admit there are many DirecTV employees who claim otherwise, and are feeding their surrogates to make the same claim: that it was Tivo that made these decisions.

We can argue the logic of it back & forth. That, from my point of view it's a DirecTV product and they're in charge. But I could be wrong in that OPINION.

In terms of what's fact, I'll take the verified word of the head of DirecTV over his low level employees and those they're enabling online.

12. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    I would imagine the contract between TiVo and DirecTV has some language that both sides do not speak publicly on the topic. Probably a concession TiVo had to make along with DTV having feature control to get back in the game. DirecTV had to give in and support a non-DTV DVR I assume to maintain the no litigation clause.

I went through something similar recently when I bought a new car. I purchase the Navigation package which basically integrated a GPS system in to the console. After using it for awhile, I realized it had fewer features and less support then a $200 Garmin. The car company blamed the GPS company, the GPS company said they just do what Ford says. At the end of the day, I bought the car from Ford so it's up to them to resolve my issues and if that means going back to the GPS company it's irrelevant to me. Did I get what I wanted. No but that wasn't the point.

Regardless, as DTV customers we have a right to provide feedback to DTV regardless of which DVR we own.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I must respectfully disagree with your characterization here.

I think it's probably true that DIRECTV set some specs; in fact I know that is true. DIRECTV required that the TiVo be capable of certain things before it would be released. It's also very likely that DIRECTV mandated that their TiVo be less hackable than the standalones; they made that requirement in 2004 with the R10. It would seem that it took TiVo's engineers about three years to create a box that met DIRECTV's requirements and mandates.

But... as far as DIRECTV mandating that TiVo stay with its 2005 interface, not support MRV, etc., sorry no dice. I'm not in the thrall of some DIRECTV puppet master. I do however have the pleasure of working very closely with many of the DIRECTV staff who directly affect both the Hx2x DVRs and the THR22. I find them to be men and women of integrity and have no reason not to trust them.

Take that for what you will.

14. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
  15. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    Can you please ask these folks why the THR-22 Tivo does not have MRV and report back? The silence from both sides is only making issues worse. Until then we are left to speculate since there is not a consistent story.

16. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    Yes, please comment here whether I, as a Directv customer, should be able to provide and ask others to provide Feedback to DirecTV on their products.

That's all I asked and I got jumped on by the politics behind the scenes. I brought none of this up only until I was questioned.

17. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    :confused:

I don't recall "jumping" on you. You have every right to complain (as do I) and I do when I feel it's necessary. Actually I was looking for some factual info on the MRV subject myself. Sorry for "hijacking" your thread... I don't think there can/will be anything more specific posted on the subject. Stuart is a reputable source in my book.

18. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's been commented on many times .... Tivo chose not to implement those features.

Do you really expect some sort of "public" announcement stating that? Stuart is close to many credible sources at DirecTV and his comments can be trusted.

19. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    I didn't say you were one of the ones jumping on me. However it sure seemed like everyone else did. I just don't follow how Stuart's post relates to topic of the thread you referenced.

20. frankygamer

frankygamer AllStar

Jul 1, 2006
    That does not answer the question WHY.