THR22 Died; No way to save the programs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by bldxyz, Feb 1, 2017.

1. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    I've spent the past 30 minutes reading threads here and I just want to double check my conclusions:
    1. If I wanted to add capacity to my DirecTivo, I could follow a process to copy programs from my old HD to a new one, either internally or externally
    2. Since my DirecTivo has died, and DirecTV is sending me a replacement, there is no way for me to retain my saved programs, right? This is because the programs are tied to the access card/box, and there will be a new access card for the new receiver...
    Or... would it be possible to just swap the old HD into the replacement receiver, and use the old card.... ? That seems worth trying if I didn't bet that the people here know that it does or doesn't work. Seems like it wouldn't. (It's just a computer, after all, and I would do something just like that going from a dead computer to a replacement).

(My THR22-100 just stopped working today. It was working yesterday, but today, there is no power. I tried using a different power cord, I tried different outlets, but there is simply no power on the DirecTivo and, of course, DirecTV doesn't want to fix the box -- just replace it. It's my bet that the HD is fine.)

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, shows are not transferable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They never fix, it's always replace. The power supply isn't like a standard PC power supply either, it's an exposed board.

4. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    If it's an owned unit, you could try replacing the power supply board with a similar HR22-100 board and see if that works. The HR22-100 and THR22-100 power boards are identical. If it does, your recordings will work.

P Smith likes this.
  5. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    It wasn't an owned receiver, but they do not seem to want it back.

Not sure how I'd source the power supply board, but it may be worth looking into..

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can go on eBay and buy a used HR22 or an THR22 and use the power supply from those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bldxyz

bldxyz AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    I'm wondering now if it is too late. I'd have to have DirecTV re-authorize the de-authorized access card, since I've already put in place the "new" DVR.

8. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    It was leased on your own account, so that should not be an issue. Did you send the access card back already? If so, they may hit you for another one....

I got two power supplies you could have for free, but they are from a HR21-100 and a HR21-200, so they are useless for your IRD.