THR22 disk upgrade experience

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by sbl, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I just swapped out the disk in my wife's THR22 with a 2TB Seagate Pipeline HD disk. I had the following issues:

• I first tried a WD Red 2TB, but the THR22 repeatedly green-screened with it, saying a "serious issue" had occurred and it would try to fix it. It would then reboot and repeat. The Pipeline HD was fine, though. Until I started writing this I thought that perhaps the WD's sector count was a wee bit too large, but it suddenly occurs to me that it might be the sector size, which I think defaults to 4096 on the WD. Ah well, the Seagate wasn't being used for anything and is the same model DirecTV uses in the THR22.
    • I tried following the instructions for copying and upgrading a disk in HRxx models using gparted - didn't work. gparted didn't even recognize the partitions on the old (or new, formatted disk), saying it was uninitialized.
    So I just bit the bullet and let the THR22 format the Seagate, then waited for guide data to fill in so I could reconstruct the season passes. (A hint - don't use the online scheduler to do this - it doesn't let you set the SP to "first run only" and once the SP hits the DVR, the To Do list fills up with repeats and they don't go away when you change the options.)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I tossed a WD green 2TB in my owned THR22 and gave it to my mom a couple years ago. She has had no problems with anything and loves the recording space.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's not a 100% rule - use GTools for obtain all parameters and SMART data from your HDD.