1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three shows displayed as recording at the same time???

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by fudpucker, Jul 25, 2010.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    OK, never had this happen before. Looking at my recording schedule for tomorrow (Monday) night, and I see 4 one hour shows all showing as scheduled to record tomorrow night at 8:00 PM. One on tuner 2, 3 on tuner 1. Doesn't seem to be a problem later in the week, I see some shows being skipped due to priority.

Anyone else ever see this issue? What in the heck caused it? I just hooked up an external drive, but hard to see why that would do this.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What receiver model do you have and what are the programs (OTA or satellite channel)?

3. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    622. No OTA options. I've only got the two tuners!

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My 622 records one OTA program at a time just fine ... which would be a reason for a second tuner 1 recording.

I've seen the same program displayed as recording twice on the same tuner a couple times in the past. Three would be something new.

5. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Yeah, but I have no OTA set up on this system. Just the satellite inputs. So it has always been only two at a time. Still that way for the rest of the week.

And it is actually showing FOUR shows as scheduled to record! I think I'll just leave it and see what it actually does. ;)

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Smoke out the side vents!!:D:D

7. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I have seen this, but not recently.

Jim5506 could be right. Put a laptop cooling pad under your DVR like I did.

8. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I've had this happen but a power cord reset seemed to clear it up.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Could be a problem... or it could be legit.

IF you use the default padding (start 1 min early, end 2 min late) then the receiver will automatically combine sequential recordings on the same tuner...

So... you could record a program on TNT at 8pm.. and another at 8pm on USA. IF you have another timer for another program on either TNT or USA immediately after that, then it will combine and record with the previous program.

What channels/times do you have programs set to record?

10. Snydley

Snydley AllStar

Mar 30, 2007
    I've had something similarly strange happen. Occasionally I'll be watching LIVE TV on TV1 with something already recording on TV2 and a recording is schedules to start on TV1. I don't want to stop watching what I'm watching on TV1,(I'm talking about viewing live TV, NOT a recording), I'll hit the record button, the red REC will come on the screen, and it'll start recording what I'm watching and in a few seconds the scheduled recording on TV1 will also start recording but it won't interrupt what I'm watching.
    So at that instant I have:

1. The program I'm viewing on TV1
    2. A new program recording on TV1
    3. Something recording on TV2

It'll go on like this until I change channels.
    I can't get it to happen every time, and I haven't figured out exactly HOW I can make it happen, but when I'm all done there are 3 things happening, 2 on TV1, 1 on TV2. I don't recall if all 3 things actually record to the hard drive, or if just the 2 scheduled recordings record. Next time it happens I'll make a note of it.
    This is on a VIP6222. I have no antenna connected to it.
    I've narrowed it down to happening when I hit the record button within 30 sec. of TV1 starting the new recording.
    Strange, but it's great when I'm watching something and don't want to "give it up" or cancel the scheduled recording.:D
    Snyde