1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thriller max

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by CarolinaGuy79, Jul 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79 Legend

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok I am only a 3 weeks subscriber to DIrectv coming from dish I have never heard of thiller max so whats thr deal with it? Last I known Date night and The good girl were not suspense/thriller/horror movies I just dont understand why they dont show true horror all the time.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Because the station isn't called "Horror Max".

3. CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79 Legend

Sep 9, 2009
    But its called thriller max and date night isnt a thiller.

4. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Sorry but according to IMDB it is categorized as a "Thriller". Having seen the movie I can understand why too.

5. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    What do you want? The Michael Jackson video playing 24/7? Outermax (which is not coming to Directv as of now) plays sci-fi/horror all the time. As far as Date Night, I've never seen it. Is there any sort if action/suspense of any kind to it?

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes, car chases, spy stuff, etc. It's a "thriller".

7. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Per Cinemax.com/about:

ThrillerMAX keeps viewers on the edge of their seats with a nonstop selection of mystery, suspense, and thriller movies.

I've seen both Date Night and The Good Girl.

Date Night could be considered a thriller (car chases, spies, blackmail/extortion, mistaken identity), although it's technically an "action comedy".

The Good Girl was a pure drama (woman cheats on husband), not sure what qualifies it to be on ThrillerMax.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I've had this discussion with my nephew once. "Thriller" does not mean horror. It means it contains thrills.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I can attest that I have caught a lot of horror flicks that weren't thrilling!

10. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    You could say the same about 5StarMax. The description of the channel per Wikipedia is:

Modern classics, featuring award-winning films and timeless treasures; broadcasts a featured classic every night at 9 p.m. ET; launched in 2001. One of only two Cinemax channels that does not air Max After Dark content.

I was just looking at that schedule and saw that channel is scheduled to show "All About Steve". I've not seen it but it is considered one of the worst movies ever. I guess the only reason it could be considered is that it stars Sandra Bullock, but she was given the Razzie for Worst Actress for this movie.

11. Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I've seen it. Definitely on my bottom 10.

Funny thing was Bullock accepted the Razzie in person, then the next night she won the Oscar for The Blind Side.

12. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Television stations usually just use what category the movie has been placed in by the studio that created it. If the studio that created it classifies it as a thriller.... it will show up in a database of thrillers that ThrillerMax can and will choose from, and thus it plays on ThrillerMax.

It may very well be a "light" thriller, if there is such a thing, but a thriller nonetheless. I think many people mistake the word "Thriller" based on Michael Jackson's song. It features zombies, cemeteries, and all sorts of stuff that might be closer related to a Horror movie then a Thriller. (Although of course, to make it viewable by the general MTV public, it isn't a Horror clip). Point is, a Thriller isn't always a movie that has Horror elements and/or violence, etc. It could just be a movie with a reasonable amount of action, but perhaps not for 80% of the movie.

13. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Like nearly every other channel, the name is only a way to brand it. Originally, "Thriller Max" probably contained only thrillers. Now, it contains whatever content is available. Thriller Max sounds better than 5th channel of Cinemax retreads.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemax

From 1992 to 1997, Cinemax aired one movie each day of the week that would be centered around a certain genre, represented by various pictures that would play in a specialized feature presentation bumper before the start of the movie.[6][7] The symbols included:
    MoreMax was Cinemax 2 1991-1998
    ActionMax was Cinemax 3 1995-1998

ThrillerMax launched in 1998.

@Max
    Wmax
    OuterMax
    5StarMax

started in 2001

15. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Reelz Channel, "TV About Movies" shows a bunch of old TV shows like Brothers and Sisters. Syfy likes to show wrestling... TV networks rarely stick to their original primary theme, they drift in search of cheaper programming and better ratings.

So, yeah, Thriller Max doesn't always show thrillers. Shock. Horror. ;)

16. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    And in most cases it seems, create their own programs to make the additional revenue.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Good one.

I usually use the movie Magic with Anthony Hopkins as an example of a thriller. No horror just suspense.

18. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    It has been a long time, but in 1998 when ThrillerMax first launched, I think it was around June of '98 I had a 4DTV and used to watch it a lot. If I remember correctly (I have some old SatelliteTV Week magazines from back then, I could look) but I think you are correct, at that time it did show only horror, suspense, and real thriller type movies. I had not had the channel since 2001 when I went to DBS until now, so I noticed that it had changed quite a bit in 10 years. I would be better for the premium channels to just do like they used to with their multiplex channels like Cinemax, Cinemax 2, Cinemax 3, etc... That way they would not brand the channel with a specific genre.

19. Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Per Cinemax's website (http://cinemax.com/about), the horror movies are on OuterMax:

OuterMAX takes viewers out of this world and into the unknown with the best of sci-fi, horror and fantasy.

20. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has there been any announcement about when OuterMAX will launch on D*? I don't think there is any date that has been mentioned.