1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ticked about having NO network stations in HD!

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by marty45714, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 #1 of 109
    marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Hey new Dish Network Internet Response Team:

I am seriously ticked about losing my HD Distant Network channels compounded by the fact that my local channels are STILL not offered in HD, compounded again by the fact that my friend on DirecTV just told me that he now has HD local channels in my market!

So, can you try to answer the following for me:

1) When can I get DNS in HD again?

2) When will my local channels (Clarksburg / Fairmont / Morgantown, WV) be offered in HD?

This is a REALLY big deal to me and if I miss the Super Bowl in HD, it will be next to impossible for me to forgive and forget. I will almost assuredly switch to DirecTV when my contract is up!

2. Jan 23, 2011 #2 of 109
    marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Oh, and I am aware that DirecTV has no connection to All American/Sobongo. So no need to tell me that. My question is how Dish Network will handle the situation now that the damage is done.

3. Jan 23, 2011 #3 of 109
    BillR

BillR New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I don't think you are by yourself and I am thinking I can't rid of Dish fast enough! I still wonder how much fallout there will be over this, no communication from either Dish or Sobongo (AAD):nono2: and how many people will leave Dish that either don't read this forum or post or have access to this information. My locals will probably never be offered in HD and they look like crap on a HD TV!:( I have an antenna, but the stations, 1-don't broadcast in HD, 2-I can't pick them up with an antenna.

I have read where Dish is talking about getting back into the distant networks offerings. For me, it probably won't work. Their plan is probably just for RV's.

4. Jan 24, 2011 #4 of 109
    Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Many years ago, when I lived in Monterey, CA, before there was local TV and cable, the most common installation of an outside antenna used a 15-20' mast with guy wires and a very huge directional antenna on top. The masts were telescoping to make installation easier. Very good reception was achieved from the San Francisco stations. Height was considered extremely important.

5. Jan 24, 2011 #5 of 109
    runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    There have been a number of threads discussing this issue. The internet response team has never posted anything in any of those threads. I have been hoping for a while that they would clarify the situation. There are rumors that Dish will start a nationwide DNS service, but no one really knows. This issue is really a non-issue to most customers, who do not receive DNS, but it is a VERY important issue to those who do.

If Dish already provides local-into-local service to a market, a subscriber in that market is generally not eligible for distants from Dish unless that market is a short market. Then the subscriber is eligible for any distant to replace the missing network or networks. And that distant can be in HD, even if the locals in the market are carried only in SD.

6. Jan 24, 2011 #6 of 109
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm sure there are and will be many subjects where the IRT will not be able to comment due to Dish policy, or just because they don't have the answers to the question (in many cases, Dish hasn't figured out the answer).

Rest assured, as soon as anyone here knows something, they'll post the info for all.

7. Jan 24, 2011 #7 of 109
    runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Where in Monterey were you located? What years was it? A directional antenna in the Monterey market that is mounted at a high elevation can achieve good reception from San Francisco. Height and location are paramount. Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove, probably because the signals travel over the ocean, are known to receive good OTA reception from San Francisco. Good reception from San Francisco can also be achieved from the top of the hills near Laguna Seca, between Salinas and Monterey.

8. Jan 24, 2011 #8 of 109
    BillR

BillR New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Basically I am in the bottom of a bowl..so to speak. I have a mountain directly behind me and hills, trees etc in front and on the sides. It is difficult to get a signal, but I get some of the stations. The problem is they are only broadcasting in SD.....on an HD TV, it still looks bad. My only option is to install a 40-50 foot tower to get above the trees and hills. It is possible I can improve my reception, but for SD programming, it isn't worth it. I have also heard rumors that TV stations are considering quitting broadcasting over the air for free. Right now, the way my luck is going, I put up the 50 foot tower, have all wiring run from the tower to the house, then the TV stations start broadcasting in HD and quit doing it for free! Along with my homeowners association wanting to come after me for installing a tower on my property!:eek2: Which I know I can install the antenna, the tower is what they will PO'd about! :nono2:

9. Jan 24, 2011 #9 of 109
    runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    What if you got your homeowner association to install the antenna and wire it to each residence? They could use the best location available, you wouldn't have to directly pay for the whole thing out of your own pocket, and all the residents would benefit. It would be just like the old CATV from the 1950s thru 1970s.

10. Jan 24, 2011 #10 of 109
    Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    This was in the 60's in Monterey itself. I remember the tall-masted TV antennas were ubiquitous all over the peninsula. Some were equipped with rotors for tweaking when switching stations, even at that distance from SF. I wish I could get the SF stations now - instead of Baltimore - VBG. Well, almost anything instead of Baltimore.

11. Jan 25, 2011 #11 of 109
    runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Which stations were you able to receive from San Francisco? I think KGO 7 was difficult to receive at that time because the signal was overpowered by KSBW 8. I imagine KTVU 2, KRON 4, and KPIX 5 would be receivable, as well as KNTV 11. Did you receive any UHF stations?

12. Jan 25, 2011 #12 of 109
    psdstu

psdstu Mentor

Oct 3, 2009
    Part of my biggest frustration with not having Local HD available is the lack of any plan being put forward by DISH on when those of us in the short, rural markets can expect any sort of relief.

At least DIRECT has put forward what markets they plan to offer HD in 2011, and I think in 2012.

So far from I can see..........DISH has offered no such future plan......

13. Jan 25, 2011 #13 of 109
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Well, not quite so fast. While I completly understand your frustration I have to disagree with your post. Go to the Direct Forums here and elsewhere, and see just how "happy" people are about Direct HD compared to Dish. But more to the point, Dish made a huge step to address your situation. Surprised you haven't read any posts about it as it directly affects you. They got permission to carry out of market stations, primarily to fill short markets, and possibly to offer significantly watched stations.....

14. Jan 25, 2011 #14 of 109
    HarveyLA

HarveyLA Legend

Jun 8, 2006
    Digital TV reception is more difficult in fringe areas than the old analog broadcasts, where you might have gotten a picture, but it was somewhat grainy. Now, because of the digital "cliff effect," you either get a perfect picture or no picture at all.
    Also, most stations are now on UHF, regardless of whether it still says "Channel 4," etc. with the exception of upper band VHF stations (channels 7-13) which generally opted to stay on the same channels after the digital transition. Many of those stations are regretting that decision , because digital reception on upper VHF has proven to be worse than UHF.
    As far as locals in HD are concerned, as has been mentioned repeatedly in these forums, Dish is under mandate to carry all stations in all of its local markets in HD by early 2013, (with more to be added this year, and more next year.)

15. Jan 25, 2011 #15 of 109
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I've found a secret for much better UHF reception on digital channels.

If you have a metal roof (needs to be grounded) and place your UHF antenna near the peak of that roof. also tune antenna for highest signal numbers.

I use a PR4400 UHF antenna. Note antenna support pole can be shorter about one foot above the roof works well.

[​IMG]

This configuration has worked well for me three times in a fringe zone.:)

16. Jan 25, 2011 #16 of 109
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The problem with high VHF chs are fact that they are on the 3rd harmonic of FM stations. The FM stations usually have 10x the power so even the 3rd harmonic is stronger than the TV station. Chs 9-10-11 have the most problems. None of this was know until things were out in the real world. I worked for a station that was on ch 9 and there was little way for people to get the signal that was over 25 m away form the transmitter. I had trouble at my house until I read an article about the interference problem. I then put a FM filter in line and almost stopped all the problems even though my house was less than a 1 m from the FM station transmitter that was the cause.

17. Jan 26, 2011 #17 of 109
    psdstu

psdstu Mentor

Oct 3, 2009

You are correct about Dish providing out of market stations to those of us in a short market. We did start receiving our missing CBS in SD. Our DMA had 2 SV CBS stations available, and DISH decided to provide our DMA with the SD version, not the HD version........ not sure of the reasoning?

At any rate.... my point was ok....whats the plan for HD to our DMA in the future?.....it would be nice to know what the plan is? Thats all.

18. Jan 26, 2011 #18 of 109
    Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    The TV stations were incidental. I was more interested in getting stereo FM, which was very new at the time. But we are off topic, and the forum police are going to come after us :nono:

19. Jan 26, 2011 #19 of 109
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    Most likely they already have an agreement for carrying the SD in place. Now how soon the HD will take place probably be when the next time the contract is sign & it includes the carriage of HD. They don't rush out and start a new contract just to carry HD.

20. Jan 31, 2011 #20 of 109
    JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    That is exactly the opposite of what I've experienced. I live on the wrong side of a hill and analog TV reception has always been awful, even with a good antenna on a long mast. Locally we had one high band VHF channel (12) that had a semi usable though ghosty signal. All the other stations were on UHF and none were received as more then a smear.

After the digital transition our channel 12 moved to channel 7 and one of the UHF stations moved to channel 8. The other stations remained in the UHF band.

Now I get a reliable HD signal and sub-channels on the two high band VHF stations but the UHF stations don't give me so much as a wiggle on the signal quality meter. I even bought a super high gain UHF antenna and longer mast but I get nothing on UHF. Its as if the stations are off the air. I wish they could all go to high band VHF.