Tiger better than Nicklaus (or other 'greats')?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by John Corn, Apr 30, 2002.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Do you think Tiger is better than Nicklaus? If so, how do you define ‘better’?

To me, as progress marches forward you can’t compare scores now to scores 50 years ago. For instance when a player beats a record set 30 years ago I really don’t consider that a tremendous accomplishment, considering the quality of equipment (metal shafts, wood-head drivers, ball development was poor). However, I think it is certainly possible to compare majors wins.

Personally, I think if Jack at 26 had the same equipment nowadays I think he’d be very, very competitive to Tiger. It’s still hard to say (Tiger has 7 majors now at 26?, Jack had 6) but time will tell. I think Tiger is starting to burn himself out (did you see him in the Master’s press conference afterward?) so I would expect (and think it would be the best for him) him to go a little ‘lighter’ in the next couple of years and really make a comeback in his 30s. For crying out loud he’s only 26! Take some time off, golf in the Keys or Hawaii or England for a year or two and relax. Doesn’t do you any good to burn out (or seriously hurt yourself) at such a young age!

2. Frapp

Frapp Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Tiger has the most beautiful blondes of any golfer in history waiting on the side of the fairways for him.

Talk about a fellow with a good stroke :D

3. Rusty

Rusty Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    I'm not a big golf fan but, over the years, I have kept up with the happenings on the mens tour. The Woods vs. Nicklaus comparison is a tough one to make because these two excellent golfers are from different eras. During the hey-day of Nicklaus, he had a great rivalry with Arnie Palmer. Fans and members of the sports media were always offering their opinions concerning which of the two was the best. But, these days, it seems as if everyone agrees that Woods is head and shoulders above all of the other PGA golfers. He is automatically expected to win every tournament that he plays. The fact that no one, including Woods, can realistically be expected to "win em all" doesn't detract from the fact that fans expect him to do so. As magnificent as Nicklaus was, he had so many other great golfers to contend with, such as Palmer, Trevino, Player,Watson, etc. that he was not automatically considered to be the favorite in every tournament. One thing's for certain, Woods and Nicklaus are two of the greatest golfers of all time, perhaps running 1-2 in whatever order you choose.