1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiger Woods Athlete of the year?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Rich, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just noticed that Tiger Woods has been named "Athlete of the Year" by the Associated Press.

I am rarely at a loss for words, but I have to admit this stunned me. For playing golf? Can he hit a baseball, or hit a hockey puck, or even skate for that matter? Every professional football player is a greater athlete, every pro soccer player is a greater athlete, every pro basketball player is a better athlete, every pro hockey player throughout the world is a better athlete. The worst major league ball player is a greater athlete. And so on.

He participates in an "activity" not a sport. What next, billiard players? Chess players, bowlers, Parcheesi players, mahjong players or how about poker players?

What was the AP thinking? If they had named him "Greatest Golfer on the Planet", I would have no problem, but "Athlete of the Year"? C'mon. Every jai alai player in the world is a better athlete. How does the AP define "athlete"?

At least they qualified the award by stating that he is the MALE "Athlete of the Year". Every pro basketball female player is a greater athlete. The female softball players are better athletes.

Don't take this as a rant against Tiger Woods. I would have had the same opinions if any golfer was named.

What's next, a race car driver who has the "endurance" to drive a car at high speeds around a track? Put that driver in the ring with a ranked middleweight fighter and he will find out what "endurance" really is.

Okay, my rant is done. Agree or object? If you object, please explain to me how golf can be considered a "sport". I just looked at about 15 dictionary definitions of "golf" and it is referred to as a game never a sport.

I just checked those same dictionaries for "sport" and by some golf is considered a sport since it is a game of skill and money is bet on it, but I don't think that definition is what the Athlete of the Year award is all about.

2. leehrat

leehrat New Member

May 26, 2007
    If you have ever played golf then you would know it is the hardest sport in the world to be good at. I have played all sports and yes golf is a sport. Try to go out a shoot par one day and see how you do.

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    My personal vote goes to Barry Bonds*. But none the less I do agree, golf is a sport and and participants are athletes same applies for auto racing. I'm not big on playing sports, just like to watch on TV, but I have to agree with Leehrat, until you play a serious golf match or race in a NASCAR event, you have no right to talk and pass judgment.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As said, it is not a doubt that Woods is a great golfer and the consistently best in the world right now. It is also pretty obvious that he exercises and keeps fit.

I think it is hard to compare one athlete to another if they do not participate in the same thing. How do you say whether Bo Jackson (in his prime) or Michael Jordan (in his prime) was a better athlete? If they face off in direct competition in the same sport, then you can measure... but when they don't, how do you truly compare?

This isn'y like the Olympic decathlon, say like Bruce Jenner back in the day, where you participate in a variety of physically demanding events and if you win them all you kind of by default have to be the best athlete.

Tiger Woods would smack Michael Jordan around a golf course... but Tiger would look like he is sitting on the bench in a game of one-on-one with Jordan... and Tiger might get flattened in the NFL, but those same guys who would flatten him might not be able to carry his golf bags.

I just don't know how you pick in this kind of comparison.

5. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Can Barry Bonds hit a golf ball 350 yards down the ball with thousands watching or sink a putt from 10-15-20ft away to win a Major Title?

It goes both ways.

Golfers are as much of athletes as baseball, football, basketball, or hockey players.

Tiger Woods being named this winner is much deserved

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not even close, Dawg!

A golfer must have complete silence in order to hit a ball standing perfectly still
    on a 2" wooden tee. Then, predictably, one idiot fan shouts "Go in the Hole!" :sure:
    Golf is such a physically undemanding game that men in their 80s can still play.

In the midst of thousands of screaming fans, a baseball player hits a ball thrown
    at him at over 90 miles an hour from less than 60 feet away, then he hits the ball
    over 400 feet for a home run, runs more than the length of a football field, then
    proceeds to get seriously pummeled in the dugout by his own teammates. :joy:

Now tell me, between golfers and basebal players, who is the real athlete?

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    both

8. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Both.

None of your points remotely make golf any less of a sport nor make any of their players less of athletes.

I played baseball through college and a little past. I know the rigors of being a baseball player.

I also play golf in my off time.

I have seen demanding aspects physically and mentally in both sports.

9. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Is that 400 feet, with or without steroids? :D

10. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    I play neither professionally, but play both for recreation on the weekends. Waking up the day after 18 holes of golf I will normally have more sore muscles than I do the day following 9 innings of baseball or softball.

I feel like an old over the hill athlete after both.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    :lol: I can relate...

I no longer play either, but I still feel that way every morning after waking! :stickman:

12. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    [​IMG]

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Maybe when I get too old to hit baseballs I will give it another try. The "hardest sport"? You have to be kidding. Ever play fast pitch (80 to 90 MPH) softball? Of course you haven't. I have and I've hit stationary golf balls and there is no comparison. Ever face a high minor league baseball pitcher? Of course you haven't, I have and it is a lot easier to hit a golf ball. But hitting a stationary golf ball is "hard"?

Ever play football with grown men? Of course you haven't. Ever written a ridiculous statement? Of course you have.

I hit 1200 baseballs this week. Think the best golf player in the world could keep up with me? Bring him on. I have a standing $100 wager that I will outhit anyone anytime. I have 500 baseballs in the trunk of one of my cars and am ready at anytime, weather permitting, to hit them all one after the other. Out of my hand. Try it, see how hard that is. Nobody of any age or ability level has ever accepted my challenge.

Ever put on gloves and get in the ring and box? I have and that's really hard. You haven't.

Racquetball and tennis are harder. Backgammon is harder. And by the way, I have played golf and it is a great way to network and get ahead in the corporate world. Aside from that, as far as I'm concerned, it is an activity that I found rather boring. Hard to be bored when someone is throwing a ball at you or attempting to tackle you or knocking you unconscious in a ring.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have every right to express an opinion. That's one of the wonderful things about living in this country. A lot of good men died to give me that right. What branch of the service did you serve in?

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I did not pick the comparison, the Associated Press did. I was just shocked by it.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh good, another joke.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx. Glad to see you put it in the proper perspective.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, that was a good one!

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ever pull a hammy playing golf? Blow out a quad? Wreck a rotater cuff? Rupture an achilles tendon? Break a leg? Break a finger? Fall down after making a throw and have tears running down your face from the pain and do it again the next inning? Ever crawl from 3rd to home with a ruptured hammy? Ever fall out of a golf cart? Does a pro golfer even have the endurance to carry his golf bag? Ever see a caddie in a real sport?

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I didn't know you had to serve in the military to speak out against prejudging :rolleyes: