TightVNC, remote computer access for free! Pretty cool.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by firephoto, Jun 20, 2003.

1. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Saw this on TV last night and tried it out this morning and I'm impressed. Makes for watching or controling whats going on on the other computers on the network a breeze. I have the client running on Mandrake 9.1 and the servers on the windows boxes. It will work across the internet too of course and has optimizations for lower bandwidth use if you desire.
    http://www.tightvnc.com/
    I know this probably isn't anything new, but it does work really good.

2. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    They are using it at the company I am consulting at. It works pretty well. Used it about 30-40 times this week and it never blew up on any machine.

3. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    I've been using this for years now and when I still had my NT 4.0 server burbling away in the basement for MCSE training, the monitor blew two weeks after putting it down there and fortunately, the VNC app was on as a service and presto, I could log in from the Win98 machine upstairs.

Unless you really need bells and whistles, it will do over most commercial apps.

4. John Walsh

John Walsh Godfather/Supporter

Apr 22, 2002
    I have been using it since you posted on this forum. It makes my life a hell of a lot easier. Now I can watch employees and make sure they are being productive (not posting to online forums, chatting etc) and its great for troubleshooting computers from my computer. Most of the time when people are having a problem they are just forgetting some little detail and I can just log on and with a few clicks have them on their way.

5. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    OK, I love VNC, but RealVNC works better IMO than tight...

http://www.realvnc.com/

This is almost like Linux, everyone has their own favorite flavor... :D