1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tim Burton

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by jodyguercio, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Why is he considered such a good filmmaker?

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Don't know. I enjoy his films but they all look the same to me. Sometimes I feel I'm watching the same movie with different actors.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Because he's unique.

I personally like some of Tim Burton's stuff. Some I don't. My favorite Tim Burton movie is Edward Scissorhands. Strange movie but I don't think a fairy tale has ever looked and sounded so good especially with Danny Elfman's fantastic score.

4. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I agree. That was my first exposure to J.Depp, an actor I really admire. I haven't seen Burton's latest film, I really want to.

However, unique is not necessarily synonymous with great or even good.:)

5. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Chris I think you hit on it, some of his films are great ieEdward Scissorhands and the two Batman films. But then there are other films like the upcoming Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that just really don't appeal to me personally. It's as if he is trying too hand to make them zany, and for lack of a better word, weird.

6. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Totally agree. Some of his movies are just plain "out there". However for some reason I did enjoy Planet of the Apes. Don't know why. Maybe it was dark nature of the film.

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Because people like his movies. Not all people, but enough to make his works successful and profitable.

8. ddockery

ddockery Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    I'm guesing it's because he does such a great job of setting the mood of the film.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I've asked that same question many times - no takers on any good answer that I've spoken with around here...

Those where he tries to deviate from reality are the toughest to enjoy IMHO.

No doubt he has his own "style"....just can't find anyone who cares for it.

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I got into that argument with my kids. I have a lot easier time grasping Tim Burton's reality more than some of the fantasy stuff out there like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I fall asleep during those movies. Flying dragons and broomstick wars are just too much for me.
    :)

11. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    You're not likely to find them in the places you frequent.
    It's a birds of a feather thing.

I don't care for hip-hop, and I consider the people who perform as neither talented nor musicians. Yet, they sell millions of records and do very well.

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    One of my favorite Burton movies is BeetleJuice. Just a lot of fun.
    It should also be noted that he either directed or produced three of the Batman movies.

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Really? I didn't realize that. Which one other than Batman and Batman Returns?

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    He was producer for Batman Forever.

I love Mars Attacks

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    There's certainly alot of truth to all that....but making things overly-weird just to be "different" is a stretch over simple special effects.

Burton is to movies what Stephen King is to books.....someone who beats to a different drummer. People seem to either love 'em or don't care for them at all.