Time for a new receiver...

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Richard King, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The time has come to replace my old prologic preamp/amplifier system with an 5.1 or better receiver of some kind. One thng that I will insist on is a receiver with processing loop connectors on the back so that I can use some external processing equipment that I have and don't want to part with. I am leaning towards either Onkyo or Denon as far as brand goes, however I am open to other suggestions. I would like somewhere in the area of 100 WPC or so. Throw out some ideas if anyone has some. The time to replace is early next month. Figure a budget of up to $800 or so. I can get most Denon or Onkyo from one of my distributors at dealer cost (just a bit lower than BB or CC prices).

2. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I've always liked Denon. Check out the AVR-3802 which I was going to get before I got the wife pregnant. :grin: The only thing it isn't is THX certified, but you didn't mention that being an important feature... Its got Dolby Digital 6.1 and DTS-ES, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6....

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Those are the features I'd be looking for also. To pick a nit, there is no "DD 6.1". Surround EX uses matrix decoding similar to Pro Logic to extract the back center channel. Make sure you have enough digital inputs for future additions to your system and consider component video switching if you will have DVD, HDTV and a DTV recorder (assuming component output is allowed). Many receivers have a 5.1 input for DVD-Audio but pre/main loops are harder to come by.

4. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I just realized something that may throw a wrench into this decision process. The processing equipment that I want to use (DBX 3Bx three band dynamic range expander and DBX 120XP subharmonic synthesizer) require a fixed output (similar to a tape out) rather than a variable output. I don't know of any pre/main loops that provide a fixed out, with the main volume control AFTER the pre out. This should be interesting. Currently I only use the processors on the output of my JVC D-VHS Dish unit, which is a fixed level. When I go to a DD unit of some kind I will be using the DD output of the JVC, eliminating the signal path that I currently use. This is why the need for fixed outs on the receiver of some kind.

5. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    Richard,
    I have a Denon 3801. It was discontinued for the 3802. The only difference is mine is Pro Logic and the 3802 is Prologic II. An improvement.
    This is an excellent receiver and it is in your price range.
    Check out the Denon 3802.
    If it fit your needs........
    I highly recommend it! :)

Richard, I can't figure out why my link wouldn't work.
    Click on the "Receivers, Speakers, Home A/V" (at the top, left) link, then Home Theater Receivers (to your right) and you can scrool down to the 3802 and check out everything about it.

6. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    Not sure which may model may have your specs but I have a Marantz SR 7000. it's a great product with a lot of extras (like DC triggers, good remotes and multi room). They make great products.

7. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks for all the advice (so far). I am closing on the sale of a condo next Monday (if all goes well) and so, the time draws nearer.

Jim. I looked at the 3801 and it might be a potential winner, if the pre ins/outs that they talk about and show on the back panel here: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...20&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=033AVR3802&display=XL are also pre volume control. I wish the manufacturers would publish flow charts for their components. I am going to talk to my Denon distributor that I work though and see if he knows, although I suspect not. It will probably mean a call to the factory guy who will get back to my rep in about a month so that my rep can get back to me in another month. :( I still haven't found any other one that has the fixed outputs and returns (pre volume control) that I am looking for though. If all else fails, I may end up bumping the budget a little bit and consider components rather than a receiver if I can once again find the right one to suit my desires.

8. Dec 5, 2002 #8 of 39
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, a decision has been made, sort of. I have registered for the CES show taking place next month in Las Vegas and most likely will make the trip to check things out at the show. A final decision will await the return from the show. Another that I am considering is an HK 500 series, or, if I decide to expand the budget, an HK AVR8000. Any thoughts on these receivers. They appear to be rated at lower power than some in the same range, but I have seen reports that they are much more honest in power ratings than many other manufacturers.

9. Dec 5, 2002 #9 of 39
    Frank Z

Frank Z Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    Take a look at the Pioneer Elite line up. The VSX-43tx receiver is a great piece of equipment. 7.1 channels, THX Ulta2, DD ES DTS-EX. Tough to beat!

10. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
  11. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    I have a Denon AVR-3802 and would highly recommend it myself. Great receiver. The Dolby Pro-Logic 2 works awesome with the Nintendo Gamecube to name one source which doesn't support a true DD output. DTS ES 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX sound pretty superb with well mastered DVDs as well. I believe there are a ton of DVD's out there that were mixed with the extra rear center channel even though they don't make a point of explicitly saying so on the back of the DVD cases. X-Box games really sound great on it. Really enjoyed listening to the score/sound effects of Halo over and over again through this setup.

12. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, I will not be able to make it to the CES Show (again) due to too many things going on here. A new HK model (AVR7200) has jumped up to the top of the list. It is supposed to be available this month. Details are here: http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR 7200&sType=C Retail is going to be $1495, but I can get it for considerably less (I don't have final figures yet) from one of my distributors. Take a look and throw out any opinions.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    [drooling] I want one... [/drooling]

I've had an HK AVR110 for a couple of years now and really like it. This would be an amazing upgrade for me. No mention of how many component video inputs it can switch, but I'd assume that it'll be at least 2 and maybe 3. Now I just have to convince my wife that we really need a new receiver... :D

14. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I will jump in here and also recommend the Denon 3802, its what I have in my main viewing area and I love it!

15. runningjoe

runningjoe Cool Member

Jan 22, 2003
    I didn't realize that Denon was so popular. I am putting my room back together after installing a new 6.1 system. The Denon 4302 is an outstanding unit, and you know, this version of THX is actually worth having. The next model up adds 50 watts RMS per channel and THX Ultra 2, but I was already waaay over budget.

Happy hunting.

16. bearklaw

bearklaw Mentor

Jan 2, 2003
    The pre in/outs on my 4800 are pre volume control, which surprised the heck out of me, since I was expecting them to be post volume control. I run them to an external A/D converter and the volume control has no effect on the signal coming out.

I would expect that the 380x is similar, but don't know for sure. If you buy from a local dealer they will probably let you try the amp in your home and swap it for something else if it doesn't meet your needs.

I tried a 3800 when I was shopping, and it is a great unit. My only complaint was that when driving my 4-ohm speakers the fan would come on, which really annoyed me. I eventually opened the wallet and went with the 4800, which can handle 4-ohm speakers without triggering the fan.

-BearKlaw

17. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
  18. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    Richard,
    My opinion is a question.......
    This thread is almost a year old!
    Why in the world haven't you deceided yet?:shrug:
    Are you a 'little old lady' in disguise?:p
    It sounds like you have been waiting a year to save a couple of dollars.
    You have stated before that you can get a good deal.....but you don't take it.
    What good is money if you don't spend it?
    Just think...If you had purchased something 10 months ago when you started this thread...........
    You would have been (and still) enjoying your new sound.
    I have several friends that are like you and I really don't know why you (and them) are depriving yourself.
    And Please....Don't tell me you can't afford it!
    I've read your previous posts.:)
    Do yourself a big favor and make a decision tomorrow.;)
    This might be the oldest, active thread in DBSTalk history......I don't know.
    It's time for you to close it now. :)
    Spend your damn money! :D

>EDIT<
    I think I know what your response will be.........
    I can't find what I'm looking for.
    If that's the case, you won't. It's been too long.
    You will have to settle with what you can get.
    Been there; done that!
    Many times.

Jim

19. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    While I did start this thread last year, I didn't start it until November of last year. :D

Nope, still 100% male last time I checked. :lol:

3 months. :D I have been so busy lately that I wouldn't have been using it anyway. I have been living away from my house in a condo I am remodeling. Just moved in some renters today, so this moves closer to the front lines again.
    I am awaiting the arrival of the HK AVR7200 to the marketplace. I hope it will make it this month and I hope I don't end up as a beta tester. :lol:
    Nah, not even close I am sure. :D

20. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Just to keep this alive for a while longer, I spoke to my HK distributor this morning and the 7200 will not be available until sometime in mid March now. So, this thread will be kept alive for at least another month. :D