1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for an Upgrade (2+ Years): Need Help/Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by WinstonSmith, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1 of 12
    WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith AllStar

Sep 2, 2006
    Hello,

I haven't had any upgrades/changes to my DirecTV service in several years, so I know I am far behind on the newest technology and installation methods. That's why I am asking for lots of help!

My current set up:
    - HR24/500 receiver in my family room. Connected via Ethernet. This is our main TV viewing area.
    - HR20/700 receiver in TV room, no ethernet. This is the only other DirecTV we have in the house.

My Bill:

Total Choice Monthly, $66.49
    Advanced Receiver HD Monthly, $10
    Advanced Receiver DVR Monthly, $10
    Additional TV, $6

What I'd like to do is add DirecTV service to our living room. Currently, I have a TV there that is connected to an OTA antenna.

I'd also consider adding DirecTV service to our bedroom. Currently, I have a TV there that is connected to an OTA antenna.

I know I have a slimline dish that has four wires coming into a multiswitch.

The Genie seems attractive to me.

One issue I have is that my house was wired with coax cable when it was built about 15 years ago. In most rooms I have a single coax cable in a wall plate in the wall. Unfortunately, in the bedroom and living room, it is not feasible to run a second line.

I have done a little research on Single Line Multiswitches and how that may work now but I'm not sure if that will work for my situationAny . I love the idea of being able to watch shows at one location that were recorded at a different location.

I am in the early process of figuring this out and I know I need a lot of help. Any is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Jul 6, 2013 #2 of 12
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You'll need only one coax per location; it handles both the DIRECTV feed and internet*, on the whole home concept aka MRV.

With professional installation, you should be golden. * Internet is fed to all locations through the coax, and is inserted either through the HR44 via ethernet cable, or else where with a separate Cinema Conection Kit (CCK)

3. Jul 6, 2013 #3 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They'll swap out the multiswitch for a SWiM16 as the Genie with five tuners would give you 9 total. You'll be Single Wire to each DVR, so your existing coax cable may do if they're home runs.

4. Jul 6, 2013 #4 of 12
    WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith AllStar

Sep 2, 2006
    Thanks for the help so far!

So, if I do get a Genie (and that seems to be the recommendation) I'm going to need a new dish and all new equipment? Will I keep either of the DVRs?

Also, I would be looking at Genie clients in rooms other than where the Genie is.... correct? How much is each client?

Thanks, again!

5. Jul 6, 2013 #5 of 12
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you keep your current equipment and add the Genie, nothing needs done at the dish.

I personally would keep your current DVRs. They cost no more than a client per month.

6. Jul 6, 2013 #6 of 12
    WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith AllStar

Sep 2, 2006
    If I keep the current DVRs, will I be able to access content from the Genie from those DVRs?

Also, will those DVRs still require 1 line or two?

Thanks!

7. Jul 6, 2013 #7 of 12
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, the Genie will be able to see and watch what you have. You have to get MRV activated for $3 per month.

Genie requires SWM, so when that is installed, all your DVRs will only use one coax.

8. Jul 6, 2013 #8 of 12
    WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith AllStar

Sep 2, 2006
    Great. Just so I am 100% clear... the other DVRs will be able to see the Genie's content and the Genie will be able to see the content on the other DVRs?

Thanks.

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yep! That is Whole Home. It takes individual DVRs and turns 'em into a network.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    just a quick note, you wont be able to schedule or manage the DVRs from other DVRs. This must be done at the local DVR as you do it currently. adding a Genie Client will give you this ability to schedule to and manage the Genie from the clients, but I much prefer the HDDVRs

11. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith AllStar

Sep 2, 2006
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I feel much better now.

I just have to see what kind of a deal I can get from DirecTV and make sure the installers know what they're doing.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. keep us posted