Time to update - what is appropriate

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikemyers, Mar 30, 2019.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I think my ancient HR-24 DVR may be wearing out. While watching shows, or recording shows, or playing back shows, it "pauses" for a few seconds every so often, for no apparent reason. It does this with new recordings, and also with recordings made many years ago, both HD and SD content.

I removed the card, cut the power, and left it for a while. Then I plugged it in, but without the card. A few hours later. I inserted the card as instructed.

It is very sluggish in responding to my remote, which is also wearing out - the outer surface started getting all "sticky", so I covered the worst areas with masking tape.

I thought it might have been that I had too much media stored on it, so I deleted things to bring the storage down to less than 50%. That had no noticeable effect.

First question, is there anything I can do to restore whatever is confused, so it works like it used to?

Second question, if I keep it around only to occasionally watch a few old shows, and if I want to get a new DVR, what are the better choices? I have one TV hooked up, but I have two more that I might connect if possible and reasonable. I don't store a lot of recordings - the HR-24 had more than enough space for me. Can someone here suggest some appropriate choices?

I have a Sony receiver hooked up to drive my system. It has multiple HDMI inputs. Ideally I would add on the new receiver, whatever it might be, in addition to what I have now. Either that, or I need to find a way to copy the few remaining recordings I have left on the HR-24 that I don't expect to be able to re-record again in the future.

After all the re-setting, I'm going to leave it on for 24 hours, and see if the pauses stop. Maybe the disk drive is going bad? I never get error messages.

Oh, and lastly, what I want is a new DVR that simply connects to my home Wi-Fi. I'm disgusted about the trouble with using the Cinema Connection Kit. DTV couldn't get it working. I eventually did so, connecting it to a computer, manually entering settings, then putting it back in place. I assume DTV has gotten much better about network connections.

Thanks in advance!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Question One: Step one: Perform a System Test on your HR24. It may or may not reveal issues. Step two: Do a keyword search for CLEARMYBOX. This will clear out the guide data database and other things. Allow 24 hours for everything to reload. Step three: Perform a BiST test (Built-in Self Test). Restart your HR24. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts. Question Two: As for getting a new DVR you need to upgrade to a Genie. If you only need access to HD a HR44 will suffice. It can be connected directly to a TV and works with other DVRs, receivers and clients. If you want 4K service you'll need either a HR54 or HS17. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive and built in Wi-Fi. It can be connected directly to a TV and works with other DVRs, receivers and clients. It needs a C61K-700 client for 4K service and can only work with one C61K-700 clients at once. The HS17 is a headless server. It has a 2 TB Hard Drive and works with wired and wireless internet. It cannot be connected directly to a TV and only works with clients. It needs a C61K-700 client for 4k service and can work with two C61K-700 clients at once.

3. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png

4. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    One thing at a time. I left the HR24 running, and while the image didn't pause, and I could watch, and enjoy, the show, when I went to use the remote I found everything was locked up. Remote control didn't work, and front panel controls didn't work. I pressed the RED reset button, it rebooted, and now it's running normally. I'll leave it like this over night to see if it repeats. Will then do each of the suggestions you made, one at a time.

Will think about replacement after the HR-24 is either fixed, or whatever.

5. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    To MysteryMan, I know wired is always better, but there's no way now to get a wire from where my network connection comes in, and the video system is. I'm currently getting 40 mbps download - let's cut that in half, for this discussion. If that's adequate for 4K viewing, that's what I need to do.

At this point in time, way too early to decide, the HR-54 sounds like a reasonable option for me.

The technician at DTV told me my old stuff is so old, I now own it. Not sure what I'll do with it. If I disconnect the SAT IN connection, and any other connection other than output, will I be able to continue to watch my old recorded shows, or will that time out?

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If/when you turn off the HR24, you'll be instructed what to do with it. If they say 'no need to return', keep it for several months to ensure that you don't get billed later for not returning the unit. But if they do say keep it (and that seems to be the norm right now for HR24s), that doesn't mean you own it. You can't give/sell to anyone else and have them activate it.

To get 4K via DIRECTV, you're going to need either an HR54 DVR and a C-61K or an HS17 (Genie 2) and a C-61K. The C-61K will connect to the 4K TV. The HR54 can be connected to another TV; the HS17 does not connect to a TV directly; it only feeds the clients (e.g C-61K). And the HS17 will not work with any other DIRECTV DVRs/receivers. Only the clients.

7. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Currently, I have my HR-24 connected to a Sony STR-DN1070 receiver, along with my other video gear. The receiver sends the signal to the TV, the sound to the speakers, and so on. The STR-DN100 has a second HDMI output connection, which I was planning to use an HDMI transmit/receive kit to send the same signal to a small tv in my kitchen.

From what I've read, the HS17 can be located anywhere, but it needs the co-ax cable connected, and if I were to use Ethernet, that too - which is on the other side of the room, so that's out.

Can the HS17 send the 4K tv signal via HDMI to my receiver, so everything works as expected? Actually though, if I understand this correctly, the HS 17 has to send the video signal (HD and 4K??) to the C-61K, which will connect to the (TV or Receiver???).

If I remember correctly, the HR-24 will be able to play the shows recorded on it forever, as long a it is not connected to DTV or to the internet. Is this still true?

8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HS17 is a headless server. It will only work with clients. It must be connected to a C61K-700 client for 4K service. You need to connect the C61K-700 to your TV or Sony STR-DN1070 for 4K service. The HR24 will play recorded shows after being disconnected from DTV or the internet but nothing lasts forever.

9. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    OK, based on what you're telling me, one comparison might be:

A) HS17 + C61K client (for living room 4K TV), + 1 (HD wireless client for kitchen)

B) HR-54 + second client for kitchen, + separate video bridge

There will be one device being used at a time. Nobody else here to use a second or third. It's fine if there is just one TV, as I plan to use the HDMI wireless kit to send a second copy of what I'm watching to a kitchen tv. Both have more than enough disk space for anything I might do. Seems to me, just like ten years ago, the smarter choice is to go with the newest technology, which means park my HS17 out of the way somewhere near my co-ax cable, and connect it to my Google Wi-Fi.

Which is better for you, an HR54 Genie or HS17 Genie 2? - The Solid Signal Blog

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  10. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Yikes; I look over the net for opinions on the HS17, and all I find are reasons to avoid it. I don't need any more aggravation for a "latest model" device, I went through that ten years ago or so.

So if I do anything at all, it will probably be the HR-54, likely with the needed accessories.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you want to keep the 24 you might consider using an external hard drive. What I think you are seeing is a hard drive that is essentially shot. You won't know that by using the 24's diagnostics or by anything else you can do at home. The only way to tell for sure is to put the external HDD on the 24. No reason that I can see to abandon your 24, it's most likely the HDD. I've done this many times and always ended up with an HR that runs really well. Yeah, it costs a few bucks.

Rich

codespy likes this.
  12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd go with the 54 too.

Rich

13. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    The HR-24 has an eSATA connector on the back. I have several eSATA drives. So I can just take one of my drives, turn off the HR-24, connect the new drive, and power up the HR-24? Will it automatically "see" the additional drive?

I read that DirecTV used to have instructions for doing this on their website, but the website is so changed, I'm not having much luck finding them.

If I remember correctly, the eSATA cable also powers the external drive, so the drive doesn't need to be in an enclosure.
    That would certainly be an option, but the HR-54 will also solve my (lack of) network connection issue.

14. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I thought I would add this here - because of a lack of an Ethernet cable, getting internet to my HR-24 has been a nightmare. I found an easier solution. I already bought a Google Mesh device, and I can add more of them as desired. This sets up a high speed network in my home. In the bottom, each of the devices has a wired Ethernet connection - so I can just plug the HR-24 into a second Google Mesh device.

Since effectively, it's a "wired" connection, getting it to work on the HR-24 should be simple.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One or two other things to consider: Maybe IR interference where your HR24 is. Have you tried changing it to rf rather than IR? And, you can just order a new remote control easily which might address the remote problems.

However, your other indicators suggest the HR24 may be on it's last legs so getting a new unit is probably advised. Many good suggestions above.

As to what to replace it with, I have had, and used, every model DirecTV has and does offer, including the HR44, HR54 and HS17. There is nothing wrong with any of them, and I am currently using an HS17 to supply three TV locations and am quite happy with it. No reason to avoid it other than it can be your only device (can't mix with any other HR). So if you want to keep your current HR24 and get something new, then go with the HR44 or HR54 (if 4K matters).

You do not have to have your device connected to the internet, although DirecTV wants you to. So that should not be a show stopper for any of the options. An installer might require you to connect it to complete the install, but you can unplug it later if you want.

Something else that may help is replacing the hard drive in your HR24. If you are computer savvy, search the forum for much discussion on how to do that. The drive itself may have just reached its end of life while the rest of the unit is still good.

16. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Update to this whole thing.

Yesterday I thought things were working, but I found that nothing on my remote had any effect on the HR24-500. After an hour of trying things, I hit the red restart button. It took forever, but the system came up normally. I left it running all night, and when I checked it a few minutes ago, it was playing one of the channels, but again the remote didn't do anything, and none of the front panel controls did anything either. So, I just hit the red reset button again. Looks like the only way I can use it is to reset it. I doubt it's fixable, so that make an HR-54 a very likely replacement. I doubt I can do anything to the unit to stop it from "freezing up".

Time to do the tests suggested earlier:

Question One: Step one: Perform a System Test on your HR24. It may or may not reveal issues.

Step two: Do a keyword search for CLEARMYBOX. This will clear out the guide data database and other things. Allow 24 hours for everything to reload.

Step three: Perform a BiST test (Built-in Self Test). Restart your HR24. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts. Question Two: As for getting a new DVR you need to upgrade to a Genie. If you only need access to HD a HR44 will suffice. It can be connected directly to a TV and works with other DVRs, receivers and clients. If you want 4K service you'll need either a HR54 or HS17. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive and built in Wi-Fi. It can be connected directly to a TV and works with other DVRs, receivers and clients. It needs a C61K-700 client for 4K service and can only work with one C61K-700 clients at once. The HS17 is a headless server. It has a 2 TB Hard Drive and works with wired and wireless internet. It cannot be connected directly to a TV and only works with clients. It needs a C61K-700 client for 4k service and can work with two C61K-700 clients at once.

17. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    "Step three: Perform a BiST test (Built-in Self Test). Restart your HR24. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu."

The "just a few more seconds" happens twice, but when I press, or hold, or repeatedly press SELECT, nothing happens???

18. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    It's not just a matter of moving the remote - it works fine, I leave it for a couple of hours, come back to it, and it there is no response to my pressing buttons. I go to the HR-24 and try to press some of those "electronic" front panel buttons, and none of them respond either. The only thing that does respond is the reset button.

If I get to keep the HR-24, I can disconnect it from everything, no co-ax, no internet, nothing, and use it as a simple player for my recordings. I guess I could lose all of those too - I like to be able to watch them, but I hardly ever do so.

As soon as someone tells me another way to get into the BiST test, I'd like to do that. Is pressing the SELECT button on the remote the only way? As I said, the HR-24 doesn't respond, it continues on with its own self testing......

I would like to eventually be able to watch 4K, but that's not essential. I can always get 4K from other sources. So, if I get a free upgrade, what do I get HR-54 or HS-17. For all practical purposes it will now be for one TV in my living room. I can't see myself taking advantage of any of the new features, but if it really is better technology, why get the older HR-54?

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Try this, reset your HR24. When you see "Running receiver self-check..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This also can bring up the BiST menu. It's all about timing when you press the SELECT button.

20. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Like carl6 I have used every model Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54 and HS17). The HR54 and HS17 are reliable. I prefer the HR54 because it can be connected to a TV and works with other DVRs, receivers and clients where the HS17 is a headless server and only works with clients. But that's my preference. Only you can decide which system best suits your needs.